Letters to a Young Brother by Hill Harper | Teen Ink

Letters to a Young Brother by Hill Harper

By CallMiPadre108 BRONZE, York, Pennsylvania
CallMiPadre108 BRONZE, York, Pennsylvania

Hill Harper is a very accomplished man. He has won 4 NAACP image awards; 3 for outstanding literary work, and 1 for outstanding actor in a drama series. Recently I have read his book that helped win him the NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Literary Work - Debut Author in 2007: "Letters to a Young Brother." This was a short quick read that was filled with life lessons and stories of growing up. Even though this book may be similar to other books that teach life lessons, this book sets itself apart by delivering its message in letters from one person to another.

Just like any other high school student I wasn't excited to read this book when it was assigned. However, despite how I felt, I began to read the book. The very first chapter of the book was a good life lesson that spoke about friendship. It stated that you should make friends that can become like family to you. The stories in the book were also greatly detailed and made the reader empathize with the text.

Although I did not want to read this book, I found it to be a good read. It was full of wonderful life lessons that could teach the reader. It was also full of stories that would spark the emotion of the reader. I would recommend this book to any young black male in America, and on a scale of 10 give it a 10!