City Love by Susane Colasanti | Teen Ink

City Love by Susane Colasanti

By CPallatto SILVER, Jupiter, Florida
CPallatto SILVER, Jupiter, Florida

City Love tells the stories of Sadie, Darcy, and Rosanna, three college freshmen who are living together in New York City before starting their first year at University of New York in the fall. Sadie has lived in New York City all of her life (fans of Colasanti may remember her as Brooke’s friend in So Much Closer), and at her internship at the Department of City Planning, Sadie finally meets her dream boy. Darcy is from California, and she is determined to just have fun during the summer until she meets a boy that is head-over-heels for her and she is conflicted whether to risk having her heart broken again or to not even give him a chance. Rosanna is from Chicago, and she comes from a household that has never had much money. A rich boy takes interest in her and continually takes her out to the most expensive places in town, and she is not used to his wealthy lifestyle. These three girls may have different personalities, but they quickly become friends as they ask each other for advice concerning their love lives.

Colasanti creates a situation where most girls can relate to Sadie, Rosanna, or Darcy. Sadie is the sweet, girl-next-door who is always positive and wants to find love. Darcy is trying to forget her ex-boyfriend, so she becomes fun, cool, and keeps her relationships short to avoid future heartbreak. Rosanna has never had any money, and she has dealt with abuse in the past, so she is uncomfortable when a wealthy guy takes interest in her and wants to be in a relationship. The book also switches perspectives between the three girls, so each of their stories is told equally throughout the novel. There is an in-depth perspective from each character rather than having a general third-person point of view or one singular first person point of view, which gives the book more depth. Colansanti keeps the reader wanting to read the second book in the City Love series, Lost in Love, with a twist at the end that will certainly make readers impatient for the next novel. Fans of Colasanti or of contemporary young adult romance will certainly enjoy this release.