The Lady,or The Tiger? by Frank R. Stockton | Teen Ink

The Lady,or The Tiger? by Frank R. Stockton

By JarryLiu BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
JarryLiu BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Last few days,I read an article named Lady and the Tiger.As the tittle tell you,it's two options to choose,and end up with question mark.Obviously,it's a question for readers.So I continue to read,the article is talking about a story in the very olden time.There lived a semi-barbaric king,and the way he punishes criminals is different,he let the criminals choose one of two doors in the arena,and there's a lady behind one of the doors,and a tiger behind the other one.If he chose lady, he can marry that beautiful lady,but if he chose the tiger unluckily,he has to fight with the tiger.And the king had a daughter,she's very beautiful,and the king loves her very much.But she fell in love with a commoner,one day the king knew about that,he got mad,and put the commoner into the prison.So the commoner now is the criminal,so he needs to choose on of the two doors,but no matter which one he chose,he couldn't be with the princess anyway.The king looks happy,but the princess does not.The princess pointed a door for him,because the princess knows what's behind the two doors,but we all don't know the result,because the writer didn't tell us.To be honest,I don't like this kind of ending,it makes me feel bad.But we can guess the result,maybe she chose tiger for him,maybe the lady,but we all can see humanility is very important in this situation,she even can control his life.This situation is similar as the mayans human sacrifice.But there’re still some differences,like mayans they don’t have chances to choose,but the commoner does,and he also has a chance to choose a better life.The entire story is taking about the how the princess’s emotion changes the commoner’s destiny.