The Lady or the Tiger by Loki Chen | Teen Ink

The Lady or the Tiger by Loki Chen

November 28, 2016
By Lloooki BRONZE, Upper Saint Clare, Pennsylvania
Lloooki BRONZE, Upper Saint Clare, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The story"The Lady or the Tiger", written by Frank R. Stockton, tells us what happened in the main part of the story. However, the author didn't tell us what happened at the end of the story whereas he spoke directly to the audiences and let us decide the result of the story.


Here is what the author has told us. There was a man, fineness of blood and lowness of station, fell in love with the princess who has a semi-barbaric father. This King built a arena for punishing the criminal, the method is really simple, the criminal choose a door and he would get a hunger tiger or a wonderful lady.The king wouldn’t allow his daughter stay with this poor young man. He sent this young man to the arena. On the day of the young man’s choice, no seat was empty. Of course, nobody wants to die, so before his choice, he asked the princess who knew what exactly was behind each door, A tiger or a lady. He asked for her help by looking at her, and she pointed on the right-hand side one. Then, he just chose that one.


However, no one knows what happened next, because the author didn’t tell us and he talk to us directly from the book, and ask us what do we think is behind that door. Obviously, either of the choice was good for princess. If she loved him very much, she would choose the lady for him and watch them marry and spend time together. How painful is that! Well, maybe she can choose the tiger for him and let him die, since she could not get him, she could let nobody gets him, so she doesn’t need to be jealous.


This really is a tough question and let the reader think a lot. Compared with other types of story, I do think this type of story can let people think more, because people wants a result for the story. This is the shinny point of this story. In addition, the well-turned phrase and vocabulary are also good.


The author's comments:

I like this story, it is good and I want to share my opinion on this story.