Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky | Teen Ink

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

By eccentricity BRONZE, Stratham, New Hampshire
eccentricity BRONZE, Stratham, New Hampshire

One of the greatest novels of all time, Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky is a classic -- a beautifully crafted mystery that provides frighteningly vivid insight into the ways of the human mind.

Crime follows the story of a young man named Raskolnikov, an intelligent individual who lives in 1860s-era Russia. He is tormented by his isolation and quality of life -- he’s barely scraping by in a shoddy one-room apartment while his mother is ill and his sister is struggling with the decision of whether or not to marry a man for his money. Desperate, he plots and fantasizes about committing a murder, thinking that it will help him out of his situation and remove a “vile louse” of a human from the earth. But when the police start to question him after a series of gruesome deaths, Raskolnikov begins to realise what is at stake, encountering a vibrant cast of characters and beginning to realize who he truly is.

Dark, dreary, and disturbingly satisfying, Crime and Punishment is one of Dostoevsky’s greatest triumphs. Readers will find themselves engrossed in a world of twisting plots and lifelike characters; a world that is equal parts haunting and humbling. This psychological thriller will leave you shocked and questioning humanity and yourself. For, after all, we ourselves are not all that different from the tortured Raskolnikov...