Go Ask Alice by Anonymous | Teen Ink

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

By Bri.mcavey GOLD, Exeter, New Hampshire
Bri.mcavey GOLD, Exeter, New Hampshire

Rise with the tide and go with the flow

Drug abuse statistics count shattered lives like dollars. Each digit is a person, a family, a tragedy. The more in trouble the person is, the more love they need and the more support they are crying out for.

Go Ask Alice details the life of a teen that plunges into a downward spiral of addiction in a classic yet cautionary tale. Alice is a 15 year old with long straight hair and a strong passion for trying to discover the beauty in life. A once shy and innocent girl, finds her way with the wrong crowd and the heartless world of drugs all because of her desire to be accepted. She details all events throughout her life in her most valued possession- her diary. Using a sensitive, yet observant style, she records her thoughts and feelings about issues such as, crushes, weight loss, sexuality, social appearance, and the difficulty of relating to her parents.

Alice was addicted within months, trapped in a never-ending spiral of the drug world that stole her from her comfortable home and loving family to the cruel streets of an unforgiving city. A journey that would rob her of her innocence, her youth, and her sanity.

For thirty-five years the best-selling first person account of a teenage girl up against the world of drugs has left a lasting mark on generations of teen readers. While some of the scenes may feel dated, the book still carries out extreme emotional power that feels authentic.

The truth of the epidemic and the world she got caught in shines through on every page. The story is riveting, even reluctant readers are sure to devour it. The book is a powerful and first hand account for teens to really experience the tragic outcomes of drug addiction.

If you are looking for a fairytale ending, then this is not the book for you. However, if you want a glimpse of the struggles and truths that addiction causes, then this is your cup of tea. It takes you on her journey and reveals the truth of what could happen from being involved in the wrong crowd. It’s something that could easily be me, you, or anyone else.

I recommend this book to teens and adults. This book should be required to read throughout high schools. This book was written from the vantage point of a ‘real’ girl who’s  struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the world around her something that many can relate to. The story is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who have been confronted/toyed with the idea of drug use.

As powerful and as well timed today as ever, Go Ask Alice remains the ultimate book on the horrors, truth and struggle of addiction.