Throne of Glass by Sarah J Mass | Teen Ink

Throne of Glass by Sarah J Mass

By hourtohour GOLD, Edwards, Colorado
hourtohour GOLD, Edwards, Colorado

From what we can not hold the stars are made.
W.S Merwin

Outstanding, phenomenal and sensational are the words that best describe "Throne of Glass." Author Sarah J Maas doesn't just introduce readers to her story, she reaches out and pulls them into an utterly captivating world filled with witty, well-rounded characters that you can't help but fall in love with.

The story starts when enslaved Assassin, Celaena Sardothien, the protagonist of the story, is freed from prison. She is then taken to the royal palace by a prince to compete in a competition held by the king. If she wins the competition she will earn her freedom, if not she will be sent back to the cruelest prison in the country. Once she arrives at the castle, she discovers that there are magical forces at work. Celaena to faces her past while fighting to regain her freedom, finding love and friendship along the way.

The plot was incredible but the book's biggest asset lay in the characters. Each character has incredible depth and their relationships with each other are relatable and realistic. The idea of a protagonist assassin is unique but I knew Maas had pulled it off when I found myself relating to a widely feared warrior. All the characters were complex and grew throughout the story which added an extra level of intricacy, making Throne of Glass masterpiece it is.

Throne of Glass grabbed my interest from the first page and didn't release it until the last. Sarah J Maas crafted a wonderful story with the perfect combination of mystery and excitement. I was never left bored but I also didn't feel overwhelmed by the amount of excitement. Should you ever find yourself in a reading slump I would highly recommend this enthralling tale.