Slated by Teri Terry | Teen Ink

Slated by Teri Terry

Slated by Teri Terry is a dystopian novel that explores the life of a girl in futuristic London. The story focuses on Kyla a sixteen year old who has been slated. The government takes people who are a danger to society and erases their memories. Kyla has no idea who she is or who her new family is. She has to go to a new school with strangers. Kyla soon starts figuring out that the government my not being doing good, when innocent people start disappearing. Her and her new friend Ben start figuring out ways to stop the government.
I liked this book very much. The author has an excellent way of revealing events in the story. The author also foreshadows many times in her writing which makes it fun to figure out what is going to happen next. She has a very detailed writing style. The story hooks the reader in and makes them want to continue reading.
  The text is ironic because the government is trying to get rid of “terrorists” when they themselves are actually causing terror. The story takes place in the year 2056 where mobile phones are illegal for anyone under 21 and the government monitors everything. The conflict of the story has to do with Kyla and how she is different from the rest of the people slated. The Loders (government officers) keep a close eye on Kyla. She uses her left hand and is able to outsmart their monitors.
I would recommend this book for anyone who likes dystopian novels. This book would also be good for people who like books with a strong female character. There is lots of adventure in this book and it is very suspenseful. I think most people would enjoy this book because a wide range of people that can read it.