The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky | Teen Ink

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

By KathrynO BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
KathrynO BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire

"Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic" - Oscar Wilde

An outcast, a new school, and no friends. That, is Charlie. This book follows Charlie and the new friends he gets along the way. There are many struggles going to a new school without friends, but Charlie figures it out and makes new friends. They hang out almost everyday, and he was very happy with them. Of course, there are some things that go wrong. Like when you show your true feelings, and kiss another girl than your girlfriend. He apologised though. There are many more adventures his group of friends go on, and he’s happy he’s there for the ride.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is about a fifteen year old student named Charlie. He is about to go into high school. The year prior to his freshman year, his only friend, Michael, dies. Charlie is left to enter a new school, with new people, on his own. He meets two people at a football game, Sam and Patrick. Throughout the years, many things happen to them. Not all of them are good. He is sometimes in the shadow of his football player older brother when he comes home. The author, Stephen Chbosky, wrote this book in a series of letters, or a diary of what Charlie did each day. The characters have great personalities and are interesting in many different ways.
This book was different to any other book that I have read. I very much enjoyed the fact that it was written as a diary. It explained Charlies thoughts and feelings toward his friends very well. What sparked my interest in this book was how different it was written and how it had aspects to it that teenagers go through sometimes. Some friends have also recommended this book to me. The author used great word choice and kept me in suspense during some of the chapters. Some parts of the book confused me and was hard to follow, but overall, a very great book.

If you like angsty teenagers and a sprout of romance, this is the book for you. This book has romance, drama, and comedy all put into it. There are some sad parts to it and a very well thought out plot. If you choose to read this book, you won't forget it.