If I Stay by Gayle Forman | Teen Ink

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

November 16, 2016
By Lizzy.catherine2002 BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
Lizzy.catherine2002 BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever read a book so amazing that you could read it a thousand times over again and still love it?  If I Stay is one of them.  It’s hard to put into words how wonderful and extraordinary this book was.  It’s pages are full of all the things that are nearly impossible  to explain; love, regret, loss, heartache.  Gayle Forman poured her heart and soul into every page of this novel.  This original and exciting novel is sure to attract the attention of all ages, whether you're a teen, like me, or an adult looking for an extraordinary love story.  If I Stay is for everyone.


The novel focuses on Mia Hall, a seventeen-year-old girl dealing with the tragic aftermath of a catastrophic car accident involving her family.


Mia had everything she could ever wish for, a loving boyfriend, a family that always had her back, and a possible acceptance letter to the school of her dreams, Juilliard.  On a freezing cold snow day in a small town just outside of Portland, Oregon, Mia and her family pile into the car, in hopes of a fun day off, visiting some family friends.  Beethoven's Cello Sonata No. 3 was the last thing Mia heard as she began closing her eyes, only to wake up on the ground near the side of the highway moments later.  Her life is turned upside down when she finds out the death of her parents from the impact of the accident, her brother also badly injured. If I Stay along the journey of Mia’s out of body experience, and the 24 hours it took for her to choose between whether she stays, with her friends and the love of her life, or dies, peacefully with her family. 


Out of all the books I have read, If I stay is one of my favorites.  I know a lot of people say that, but it’s true.  If I Stay was transports you to a whole new place, just like a great book should do.  The novel is filled with so much emotion, half the time, you don’t know whether to be happy or cry.  Every great love story should always cause the reader to shed some tears, happy, or sad ones.  If I Stay definitely does, which made reading the book even better.  Being a young adult/teen, it’s hard to find a good book, Usually I find one I might like, but find out later, I don’t.  However, If I Stay was different, I loved it.


If you love books that you can curl up under a bundle of covers on the couch and read for hours, If I Stay is the book for you.  It is the perfect book if you're looking for a romance novel, just don’t forget the tissues!


The author's comments:

I hope that my piece causes people to read the book instead of watching the movie.  If I Stay was a great book that I hope others will read and love just as much as I do.