Ash and Bramble by Sarah Prineas | Teen Ink

Ash and Bramble by Sarah Prineas

November 6, 2016
By NicoleRay BRONZE, Sandy, Utah
NicoleRay BRONZE, Sandy, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In reading this book, I was quite confused in the beginning. But, it progressed into a wonderful story. Ash and Bramble by Sarah Prineas was a very well written love story. Readers will fall in love with the characters. When reading this, I felt so strongly for the characters, I sided with some and revolted others. I got so consumed by her words, that I read the majority of the book in one evening. Prineas pulls you in with her beautiful ideas.
A girl named Pin gets her memory erased several times in order to live like the Godmother wants her to. Pin's first memory swipe starts with her working for the Godmother as a seamstress. Pin escapes the Godmother’s Fortress with her love Shoe. She gets caught and taken to the Godmother again. Pin’s memory gets taken away again and she gets put in the Godmother’s City in her own personal story. Shoe, who she doesn’t remember because of the memory swipe, works with rebels to go against Story and to pull Pin out of the norms of Story.
    Prineas’ writes outside of the box. She’s taken a well known story, Cinderella, and twisted it and turned it around. Ash and Bramble is a fractured fairy tale unlike any other. I really enjoyed the idea that the Godmother is the antagonist while, the Witch is the protagonist. Prineas had several different plots because of the several different lives that Pin lived. Although there was one general plot, I like that the plot was different according to what Pin’s opinion of her life was at that moment. But, Shoe was an outside force of Pin’s Story that carried the general plot.
    In all, I would highly recommend Ash and Bramble to teens that like to think out of the box. Although the book started out hard to compute, everything fell into place by the end of the book. This isn’t a very well known book, and it definitely should be. Prineas was able to capture her audience without using grotesque humor or inappropriate content. I will for sure be recommending this to anyone who wants a good read.