Boy in Striped Pajamas by John Boyne | Teen Ink

Boy in Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

November 16, 2016
By AvaVs BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
AvaVs BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Writing Wonders in Boy in Striped Pajamas By John Boyne


“...Despite the mayhem that followed, Bruno found that he was still holding Shmuel's hand in his own and nothing in the world would have persuaded him to let go.”


The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is an interesting story about the horrors of the Holocaust during World War II which takes place Germany. This book has a unique way of telling a gripping story while educating the readers on facts about this very important time in history.
The entire book is shown in the eyes of the main character named Bruno. Bruno is a nine-year-old boy, who grows up in Berlin and lives with his parents, his 12-year-old sister Gretel and maids. Bruno’s father becomes a Commandant after Adolf Hitler visits. Bruno doesn’t fully understand the nature of his father's job because nobody ever fully explains it. They just tell him it is important and that the “Fury” has big things in mind for him.  Bruno lives in a house next to a concentration camp. Bruno a very adventurous boy, who decides to look at the concentration camp where he meets a Jewish boy named Shmuel. Bruno doesn’t understand what his father's beliefs are completely and he doesn’t understand why Jewish people are in the camp. He thinks their outfits are just pajamas.
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas shows readers more and more about the holocaust as the book progresses further on. Towards the end of the book, Bruno begins to get a clearer idea of the madness that his father and many other people are forcing. Bruno must prove towards the end of the book his trust and friendship towards Shmuel.
There are many unique factors in this book. The author does not focus on how a society is affected by the Holocaust but by one individual who shows change. Although the book shows that only those who suffered through the Holocaust can truly feel the pain, many readers can relate to different aspects, such as moving, losing friends, and the seek for adventure towards their own lives.
Throughout the whole book, everything comes back to the two boys, Bruno and Shmuel who both seek friendship. There is an impression that this book is intended for children to read because the main character is a nine-year-old boy, but many adults may find this book life changing as well as children and teenagers. The entire theme is complex and emotional. It sends a very powerful message to the readers about how horrible Nazi's and Adolf Hitler’s followers were to the Jewish people.


The author's comments:

This review shares information about this book such as character traits, theme, main Idea, and includes a summary.