The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien | Teen Ink

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

November 16, 2016
By SandieSnake BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
SandieSnake BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Courage is found in unlikely places,” ~ J. R. R. Tolkien


This is a truly compelling story filled with unexpected acts of bravery and refreshingly complex characters that make them almost realistic. Set in an exclusively made world, Tolkien sets his characters on an odyssey like no other.


The Hobbit tells the story of the underestimated, yet courageous Bilbo Baggins, and how he embarks on an ‘unexpected journey’. On a day like any other, Gandalf, a highly respected wizard, shows up at Bilbo's hobbit hole accompanied by thirteen dwarves. Amongst the thirteen is Thorin Oakenshield, grandson of the King under the Mountain. For the past few decades, the Mountain has been occupied by a dragon, by the name of Smaug. Bilbo is drafted to set on this ‘unexpected journey’ with Thorin & Co. to take back the Mountain. Along the way they experience multiple hardships but just as many successes, too. All the way from trolls and goblins to being captured by elves, the misfortune seems to never end. To embark on this extraordinary journey you must read the book!


J. R. R. Tolkien’s voice throughout the piece is comparable to none. He provides an experience that is unforgettable and enticing until the end. While sometimes you have more knowledge than the characters, other times you’re left questioning your place in the story as a bystander. Tolkien causes you to take notice of your purpose in life by embedding emotional plot twists that compare to your everyday experiences. Although the hobbit is an absolute must-read, head caution to the fact that it’s written in an older style of English. Through the Hobbit and the series that follow, Tolkien has set the platform for what it means to write in the genre of fantasy.
Anyone concerned about overcoming key obstacles in life, must pick up this book. Tolkien’s strong messages are conveyed through his characters in the book, by testing them in ways that compare to real- life challenges. From start to finish you will be impressed with Tolkien’s wit and ability to create a masterpiece with pen and paper.