The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd | Teen Ink

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

November 1, 2016
By NinaScire SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
NinaScire SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     If you’ve ever read a book by Sue Monk Kidd, you would know that it never disappoints. If you haven’t, you should believe me when I say it never disappoints. Kidd has mastered the art of creating that magical feeling you get with all good books, and is somehow able to touch the minds and hearts of every reader, regardless of age, gender, race, or religion. Sue Monk Kidd is a southern Georgia native, a home that was a major influence in her novels. She attended several creative writing classes in college and looked to famous writers such as Henry David Thoreau for inspiration. She has nine published pieces, many of which have secured a #1 spot on the New York Times Best-Seller’s list. Her historical fiction novel titled The Invention of Wings is no exception. Its 384 pages capture the essence of life itself and questions the standards that society holds so heavily. This book has surpassed my expectations and is now on my list of all-time favorites.
     Although the novel was published in 2014, it perfectly emulates the issues and characteristics of southern lifestyles from more than 200 years ago. The story takes place in 1803 South Carolina, where the slave market is at its peak, and the privileged white families have no hesitations on taking advantage of it. The book begins by introducing Hetty “Handful” Grimke, a young slave girl who recognizes her place in her twisted society at an early age. She is officially sold to her owner’s 11-year-old daughter, a white girl by the name of Sarah Grimke. The two share an age, a curiosity for knowledge, an eagerness for freedom, and an unlikely bond that holds throughout the entire novel. Their only difference is the color of their skin. Starting from the day that Handful becomes Sarah’s property, readers have the opportunity to watch the two friends grow up and experience life where social inequality is a major influence on their beliefs, decisions, and actions. Independent and separated but still somehow connected through friendship, the two forces face the main issues of slavery and women’s rights head-on, taking off on a life-changing quest against all odds and expectations. Kidd’s characters become so real that you will find yourself rooting for their success, celebrating their triumphs, and tearing up at their rough moments. This book isn’t just about slavery, or women’s rights, or any type of social issue. It’s the tale of two girls who aspire to matter in the world and use their purest beliefs and desires to approach life in a different, unexpected way.
     Kidd’s phenomenal use of literary devices turns The Invention of Wings from a good book to a great story. In Part One, page 14, it says, “Back then, Miss Sarah pulled words from her throat like she was raising water from a well” (Kidd 14).  This simile is just one of the many examples of writing techniques Kidd uses to enhance her brilliant writing. The chapters also alternate perspectives between the two friends, which gives the reader insight to both Handful and Sarah’s inner thoughts and emotions. The Invention of Wings is  guaranteed to make any reader laugh, cry, and want to read it cover to cover, again and again.
     Along with Kidd’s other best-selling novels, The Secret Life of Bees and The Mermaid Chair, the theme of self-discovery is emphasized and many times includes various social and personal issues that are relevant to all readers. Because of this, the audience can make long-lasting connections and feel the emotions of the stories on a much deeper level. Kidd is able to integrate various life lessons and morals into her books, and the depth that she creates with her words is unlike any other author.
     If you are looking for a flawlessly-written historical fiction novel, The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd is the perfect choice. A great story with many lessons taught, the book is not only an insight into American history, but is an all round powerful and compelling novel to read. Kidd is a wonderfully celebrated author, and her writing will continue to change people’s lives for years to come.