Feed. by M. T. Anderson | Teen Ink

Feed. by M. T. Anderson

By Maya.Skwz SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Maya.Skwz SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Review of Feed by M. T. Anderson
In a world where three-fourths of the population have computer networks implanted into their brains, space travel is considered an elementary vacation, and flying cars are the main source of transportation, Titus and his friends lived a simple life; that is, until their technology,  on which they had relied heavily, stopped working.
In the dystopian novel Feed, by M. T. Anderson, the unique characters and clever topic create a novel that spirals around vital issues of technology, modernization, and visions of the future of America. The characters all have their individual personalities and lifestyles that rotate around technology. They use the computer network in their brain, called “feeds,” to do every action that currently is possible on smartphones. Not only can they surf the web, shop, and comprehend information inside their heads, they can also communicate with each other solely by thoughts. Feed captures a vision of the future that may, in fact, become reality.
I enjoyed the theme of the book because it thoroughly addressed the topics that are related to the future of electronics. Someday, “feeds” may really be implanted into everyone’s brains, and life may revolve around technological advancements. The book clearly captures the teenagers’ ability, as well as their inability, to adapt and live with the advancements of technology.
Because of its unique subject matter, this book has been read by many around the world; In schools, Feed is commonly used in English classes. The novel stresses the idea of modernization, and it allows students to think about the life around them, as well as their future. The book lets students understand the importance of words, as well as what can happen if technology gets out of hand. According to Scholastic, the book is also the winner of the Los Angeles Times Book Prize, National Book Award, and the Boston Globe-Horn Book Award, showing that it is a worthy read with a meaningful plot.
While I enjoyed the story, the one part of the book that is not so desirable is the writing style. Because the novel is written from the point of view of Titus, a teenager, the words are informal, and the novel is written as if he is speaking the whole thing aloud. For example, he says, “In space, that must suck” (Anderson 6), and “Marty would be like…” (Anderson 6), which are common phrases that teengers might use when speaking, but when reading, this writing style just made it seem too informal. As well as the writing style, the novel also skips from one scene to the next. While it intended to keep out unnecessary information and focus in on the plot, it ultimately left the reader questioning some scenes that weren’t mentioned. It described walking around Mars in the beginning of the chapter, but without any notice, it quickly changed scenes to being in a party, leaving the reader slightly confused as to how they went from location to location. It also includes words that aren’t used that often, such as “null” and “unettes” for example, which may give a futuristic feel, but is hard to read without visiting the dictionary after every chapter. While the novel as a whole is creative, it doesn’t flow well, making it confusing to read.
Overall, Feed has a unique theme, and for those who enjoy reading about dystopian futures, I recommend borrowing it from the library or purchasing it. The novel focuses on the advances of technology and allows the reader to think about the future. However, the writing style may not be favored by all, so be prepared for the informal writing style and keep a dictionary close at hand.