Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer | Teen Ink

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

September 6, 2016
By bruefio BRONZE, Huntington Woods, Michigan
bruefio BRONZE, Huntington Woods, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Oskar Schell was living a happy life, he lived with his parents and visited his grandma daily, but little did he know his life was going to change on the day he later referred to as “the worst day.”  Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close revolves around a 9-year-old boy named Oskar Schell.  On September 11th 2001 Oskar's dad was killed in the World Trade Center.  Oskar’s life changed drastically, he no longer had a father figure in his life, but only the distant memories of one.  A couple years after his dad’s death Oskar was looking around his dad’s closet, but this time Oskar saw something he had never seen before.  He saw a blue vase sitting on top of one of the closet shelves.  When he reached to get it down, he dropped it and the glass broke into a thousand pieces, revealing a clue that would set Oskar out on the adventure of a lifetime.  This adventure would bring him closer to his dad and many others that will touch Oskar in all different ways. 


Overall I felt this book was entertaining and surprising, even though it wasn’t what I expected.  I expected that it would focus more on the events of September 11th, but instead it focuses more on Oskar’s relationships with his family and the people he meets along his adventure.  At times the book did get a bit dull, but then it would pick up again.  I would recommend this book to anyone, because it is unlike any other book I have read because of its unique plot.  This book helps you to stop and think about how lucky you are, and to be thankful for each day and the relationships you have with your close friends and family. Oskar Schell will show you a new look on life, his look on life.  Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close will bring you deep into Oskar’s life, and will show you how truly complicated a 9-year-old's life can be.