The Ultimatum: A Jeremy Fisk Novel by Dick Wolf | Teen Ink

The Ultimatum: A Jeremy Fisk Novel by Dick Wolf

June 19, 2016
By AlexLL BRONZE, Timonium, Maryland
AlexLL BRONZE, Timonium, Maryland
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 In The Ultimatum by Dick Wolf, Detective Jeremy Fisk and his partner Chay Maryland try to stop a mysterious gunman named “Yodeler.”  This ruthless killer murders an innocent person each day “for the greater good of America,” and in doing so, grips New York City with fear.

 

Wolf masterfully sets up an intricate plot by utilizing multiple narrators.  Along with the realistic characters and intriguing plot, Wolf provides firm background and ample detail to describe the more technical aspects of the story, such as the workings of the federal intelligence agencies.  Even with the excitement of the action in the storyline, the fast-paced plot never comes off as heavy-handed or forceful.  Wolf’s characters feel authentic, and their dialogue flows as seamlessly as on a television drama (Wolf, it should be mentioned, is also a television producer).

 

Wolf skillfully conveys society’s dependence on technology and the questions of responsibility that arise alongside technology’s ever-growing potency.  Double-edged technology can help or hinder people. In one scene, an assassin uses a publicly accessible website to pinpoint Fisk’s location.  In another example, by having Yodeler employ a drone to kill, Wolf asks the reader to consider whether drones reflect humanity’s deterioration.  Intense imagery easily captures the reader’s attention. In perhaps one of the most thrilling scenes, Fisk and another assassin square off in a car chase in the midst of the crowded weekday streets of New York, and his vivid details draw the reader into the action.  From riveting assassination attempts to compelling internal conflicts, this book had me hooked from the first chapter.  One aspect that occasionally disrupts the flow of the plot is the various technical terms that Wolf employs.  Also, Wolf introduces many characters throughout the story and remembering all the names can be difficult.

 

Overall, I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys fast-paced thrillers and mysteries filled with suspense.  Reading this book made me think about our society’s growing dependence on technology and the power that it commands.  I could not put this book down because the gripping plot kept me wanting to learn more about the characters and discover how the mystery unfolds.  While this is the third book in the series, the book adequately informs you of the necessary elements from previous books so that the story makes sense, even to Wolf’s first-time readers.  I will be sure to pick up the next book of the Jeremy Fisk series when it comes out!