The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

By smartygirl PLATINUM, Wilmington, Massachusetts
smartygirl PLATINUM, Wilmington, Massachusetts

"Insanity:doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results" -Albert Einstein

A poignant novel, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak follows Liesel Meminger, a young  girl in war-stricken Germany, and her experiences with World War II through the eyes of Death. Death has an unusual perspective, encountering souls with different stories and experiences. He tends to try and remain indifferent towards the people that he meets, but something draws him to the “book thief”, and he decides to tell her tale.

Markus Zusak is a master of suspense and of delineation. Right away, the reader is sucked into the plot, a train amid frigid temperatures, setting the scene with the meticulous care for detail as a painter for his artwork.  Along with attention to detail, Zusak’s writing indulges both humorous parts that makes the reader long to laugh, and heart-wrenching scenes that leave a tear sliding down the cheek. One of his wonderful themes is the power of words. At the start of the novel, Liesel steals her first book after her brother’s funeral, not knowing what the words say but holding onto it as though it was life itself. Once she is taught to read, her development throughout the book has a large impact on other characters, leading to an intriguing idea of the power of words. Also, words are used to spread humor, as Rosa Hubermann, the foster mother of Liesel, uses unsavory language as terms of endearment and for verbal lashings. Zusak seeks to both ease the reader into the harsh reality of Liesel’s world and thrust them simultaneously into the cruel world of World War II.

Characterization is a key element of the story. Liesel Meminger, a quiet, kind girl who wishes to be able to read, is immediately likable. Next is the lovable character of Hans Hubermann, Liesel’s foster father. He is both Liesel’s protector and teacher, shielding her from unrelenting verbal abuse and shame in school, as well as giving the odd strokes of ink on the pages life and meaning. Hans's Wife is his polar opposite, his cheerful disposition emanating against her demeanor of ice. Though the only time her words seem to thaw is when her words turn foul, Rosa Hubermann holds her love deep inside, trying to conceal from the world her solicitous heart. Rudy Steiner, Liesel's best friend, is undyingly loyal and caring. Zusak crafts him to be, on the outside, the ideal German boy: fair complexion, blond hair, and athleticism. His interior, however, is furnished with quite a different perspective. Rudy does not wish to fight in World War II, and refuses to go away after Nazi officials witness his athletic prowess. Max Vandenburg, a Jewish refugee hiding in the Hubermann’s home, is essential to the plot, showing Liesel the undeniable power of words, and helping her to cope with many of  the situations in her life. Finally, perhaps the most important character in the book, Death. Death brings a different view on how the Grim Reaper himself truly views those of the mortal kind. He does not hold indifference or disdain for humanity, but rather a loving interest that brings a humane quality to the stereotype of a cold demeanor. The indifference that Death tries to have is kept as a veneer to keep him going. Just like us, Death can be somber in the face of someone passing, and has questioned the reasoning for a person’s abrupt end to life. He also carries with him an amused humor, which gives this previously one dimensional figure multiple facets. His view of the story makes the book what it is, and leaves the reader’s  mind racing while his narration continues.

Issues of racism and poverty are also brought up in The Book Thief.  Throughout the story, Jewish citizens are blatantly victims of racism, and Liesel’s foster family suffers with them. Hans Hubermann, after surviving World War I because a Jewish man saved his life, has no resentment or hatred towards Jewish people. When the Nazi party strides through, looking for people to sign up, he hesitates. A Jewish man saved his life, but he would sign up for a party that discriminated against and abused them? Hans eventually goes to sign up, as he was losing customers that he could paint for, but made two mistakes that would follow him: he informally withdrew his application, and offered to paint over Jewish slurs on a Jewish man’s house. This severely hurts the family, as Hans Hubermann lost work and the Nazi Party held suspicion against the family. Poverty is shown throughout Himmel Street, the street Liesel lives on, a contradictory point to the apparent power and grandeur of the Nazi Party. Without jobs coming in for Hans as a painter, Rosa Hubermann has to wash clothes for the wealthy, making a pittance for the whole family. Penury is clearly a plague that is ravaging through the war, but in spite of this and the racism,  a character reaches out to help, breaking through social barriers and satiating someone’s undying hunger. Liesel Meminger was hungry for a decent meal, that goes without saying, but her appetite for a book had only been whet by the scarce collection in her house. Frau Hermann, the mayor’s wife and a customer of Rosa Hubermann, sees the book thief steal a book from a book burning, and instead of turning her in brings Liesel to the private library in her house. Liesel at first only touches the books, the sheer number a breathtaking experience for someone with so little. She soon begins reading, and her love for books and words soars along with her budding friendship with the mayor’s wife.

This book is very relevant to the world we live in today. Poverty and racism are still two issues that come up in our society, and there are still people who defy these standards to do what is right despite the odds and risks. Also, The Book Thief stresses the importance of words and books. If a person does not have an education or cannot express themselves, they will not make it far in an interview or through college. Also, we must be careful not to repeat the mistakes of our antecedents, for corruption in the government will lead to the loss of our opinions and freedom of speech. I would definitely recommend this book, as not only the writing is beautiful and in itself a work of art, but the messages that come through are poignant and are worth anyone’s time.