The Lovely Bones | Teen Ink

The Lovely Bones

By Jazmyn Paris BRONZE, Boise, Idaho
Jazmyn Paris BRONZE, Boise, Idaho

Alice Sebold deeply describes the life of Susie Salmon as Susie watches down on her old life, after her tragic death. She sits in heaven, which is basically her dream land, it has everything that she likes and loves to do, but she gets this strange feeling.
In the book The Lovely Bones Susie explores her picture perfect heaven everyday, while watching over the man that brutally raped and murdered her. Day by day she realizes that the evidence of the police finding her murder is disappearing, and she can't do anything to help her family find out who killed there 14 year old daughter. Her death is taking a toll on her family and friends lives, who are trying to find the man that killed her. But what they don't know is that he is right there the whole time. Her murderer is there helping the family cope with her death. It takes a while but her family and friends are beginning to mend and move on from her abrupt death and disappearance that will never be forgotten. This book is very realistic; you would never think that this could ever happen to someone. Could you imagine watching over the man, who just ended your life, bonding with your dad? Having your dad help him build a new fort so he can do the same thing to another innocent girl? It makes you think about the people around you, what they're really like and what they're really thinking every time they see you and what they want to say or do to you next.
This book has a good story that is interesting, but the only thing that I had a problem with was being able to connect and follow along with the book. It has so many details and it just goes on and on. I like the idea of the book; I just got confused in some points. I highly recommend this book if you're good at following along and understanding what's going on from point to point.