The Audacity of Hope | Teen Ink

The Audacity of Hope

By redhead123 BRONZE, Shingle Springs, California
redhead123 BRONZE, Shingle Springs, California

'The Audacity of Hope', by President Barack Obama, is an interesting book. It describes how the political system is set up, going all the way back to the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and other documents from the late 1700's. Obama uses examples, from both Republicans and Democrats, to show how the Constitution is still in use, and other things, like the filibuster (which is actually not in the Constitution). This helps to understand the Constitution, and I found myself thinking 'so that's what that part means.'

Some humorous stories are also added in the story. For example, when Obama was running for Illinois state legislature, a man was hired by his opponent's campaign to follow and videotape Obama at all public appearances. After continually being followed, all Obama was able to get out of this man was that his name was Jonathan. Obama stopped Jonathan from following him by walking into the Illinois Capitol press office, and introducing Jonathan to the people there. After being pestered with questions, Jonathan gave up.

'The Audacity of Hope' is an informative read about America, without having a bias. The main focus of the book is the need to be united, with involves not being partisan. After all, as Obama said at his Keynote Address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, 'There is not a liberal America and a conservative America - there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and latino America and Asian America - there's the United States of America.'

Oh really? Is that why in the November mid-term elections of 2010, Obama called Republican's the enemies. Its called propaganda, don't believe everything Obama shoves down your throat.