Miles to Go by Miley Cyrus This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Miles to Go took me on a road trip through the life of a girl I thought I already knew everything about. Boy, was I wrong. With every sentence, I felt like Miley was talking to me, having a sister-to-sister chat. She wrote this book with her heart, and that is why it is so meaningful.

Miley is not a cookie-cutter celebrity, like many say. She knows where she came from and won’t forget it. She lives by her values and holds onto her strong faith.

Miley’s family is always her top priority. While she may be famous and live in L.A., who she is hasn’t changed. If her little sister, Noah, wants her to stay home and watch a movie, Miley will. Even if Miley gets invited to a celebrity party, it’s clear that she will choose her family first.

My favorite part of the book was when she talks about Vanessa, a girl who was, as Miley puts it, “the sister God forgot to give me.” Vanessa was a 9-year-old suffering from cystic fibrosis. Miley met her at a hospital and they became instant friends. Miley kept in contact with her family and often visited Vanessa at the hospital or called when she was on tour. One day Miley called only to find out that Vanessa’s time on Earth had ended. Miley was devastated. She immediately got off the tour bus and lay down in a frozen field. This was when Miley realized how much she had needed Vanessa, and how important it is to love every day and not take it for granted. This was just one of Miley’s many beautiful stories.

Somewhere between introducing us to Pappy Cyrus, who changed so many lives, learning to accept her “cankles,” and sharing her love for eating eggs with syrup, Miley connects with readers. For someone so young, Miley is one of the most brilliant people I have ever seen. Her fame hasn’t changed her; she stays grounded with the help of her family and her faith.

When this book came out, I became Miley’s number-one fan all over again. In reading Miles to Go, I felt like a part of the family.

Madi J. said...
hey well first off i want to say congrats because we read this in language arts today. so thts pretty cool to have a teacher share that with their class and then have us write a page about it. So props to u girlie! anyways i thought it was fantastic in language arts and now. yes i agree with people saying that maybe she isn't what she says she is but i know that if she were like that we would be hearing A LOT more about her.
When i read this book backstage during a performance for th... (more »)

TaySwiftMusic4Life replied...
Sept. 16, 2009 at 3:03 pm :
WOA, WOA, WOA!!! Your teacher read this to your class?! What?!! Seriously, when I read your comment, my jaw dropped to my feet!! That's probably the biggest compliment that I have ever gotten about my writing, because your teacher didn't only say that she liked it herself, but she showed that she liked it so much, she shared it with you and your classmates. Please, please, please tell her how much I appreciate that!! WOW! That's so nice!! So, what grade are you in? I'd love t... (more »)

TaylorSwiftMusic4Life This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 16, 2009 at 3:07 pm :
haha oops! i forgot to log in when i left that last comment :)you can reply to this one so i get it :) thanks!!
~Alex

Madi J. replied...
Sept. 16, 2009 at 7:33 pm :
aww im so flattered tht u replied!!!! my teacher said that he wanted us to start to learn how to properly write non-fiction and he shared yours and one other (From a Dance Team Girl). I loved them both so much and I knew that if i were that writer I would want to know. Haha you sound so sweet!!!!!!! I'm not even in highschool yet----- but i take highschool classes. I'm in eighth (= haha...... quite a difference. Hey can you read my stuff? i know its very amature and simple (i wrote ... (more »)

Sept. 16, 2009 at 10:05 pm :
that's awesome that you take high school level classes!!! sure, i will go right now and check out your articles :) i planned on doing it earlier, but i didn't have time before my sister's soccer game :) do you have a facebook? all you have to do is search Alexandra Krupp and you'll find me :)

Sept. 16, 2009 at 10:28 pm :
I guess I'm under "Alex Krupp" on facebook, not Alexandra :) Sorry!

Madi J. replied...
Sept. 17, 2009 at 4:02 pm :
no, i don't have a facebook and i honestly don't want one. i dont know what the appeal of it is. Srry! anyways yeah i guess it is sorta cool its really hard and all tho!!!!! i take ninth math, all levels through 10 of language arts, and for science it can go all the way up to senior year (its rare but it could happen!).

Sept. 17, 2009 at 4:56 pm :
that's ok :) i totally get what you are saying about facebook. i didn't want it for a while, but i mostly use it to keep in touch with my friends and family who i can't see very often.

Madi J. replied...
Sept. 17, 2009 at 5:31 pm :
sure here ill email you the subject will be teen INK so dont delete it because i dont want other people gettin my email!!!! haha im so cautious! anyways ill email you my new book (well the beginning)

Sept. 17, 2009 at 9:01 pm :
ok, yea i would love to read your beginning :) i'll see if i can email you some of my stuff too-i'm entering in a contest in a few months to win a book contract, and it's the same one that i entered in last year, but i didn't win...so we'll see :) talk to you soon :)

Madi J. replied...
Sept. 18, 2009 at 3:52 pm :
great! ill send you the first chapter later

Sept. 18, 2009 at 5:39 pm :
awesome :) i can't wait to read it!!! i'll try to figure out which one to send you :) we can edit eachothers and figure out how to make them better :)

Madi J. replied...
Sept. 18, 2009 at 5:50 pm :
Great ttfn!

Sept. 25, 2009 at 4:28 pm :
hey, madi! i just posted a new poem, but it won't be up until they approve it. so, how are you? are you still planning on emailing me your story? i would love to read it! talk to you soon! hope school is going well :)
~alex

Madi J. replied...
Sept. 25, 2009 at 5:08 pm :
hey Alex,
Yeah I will (eventually). I got like 20 pages into it and decided to restart, so I'll send it sometime over the weekend. School is well, although I just got two Bs in Language Arts ): and we just had a dissection the other day, but other than that all is well. How's things by your end? btw- i hope you dont my asking but wat state do u live in? I'm New Jersey. Talk to you soon!

epcelia replied...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 12:29 am :
HAHAHAHAHA i totally LOVE how you guys are like having a convo. thru comments(: btw, good bood review!!!! ;D

epcelia replied...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 12:30 am :
good. book.* review.

Madi_Jewels replied...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 6:30 pm :
yeah well... hahahahahaha wee think out loud!!!!!!

Karen(:This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Your review was very well written. However, you insist that Miley, being "one of the most brilliant people I have ever seen," wrote this book all by herself. She has a ghostwriter, Hilary Liftin, as do most celebrity-authors. Therefore, it is likely that Liftin, being very well-paid, wrote most or all of the book. Who knows, maybe some of it is even made up (the part about Vanessa, perhaps)? All I'm saying is, you can't trust autobiographies/memoirs by celebrities to be by the celebrity or... (more »)

Abbey replied...
Oct. 11, 2009 at 4:50 pm :
Umm this is a review, which means that most of the things she said about Miley are her opinions. and you don't even know IF any of the stuff you said is true.

Vaaseen R. replied...
Oct. 11, 2009 at 6:37 pm :
Ugh I agree with Karen. Of course Miley didn't write this whole book word by word. Do you know how busy Miley is?!? She doesn't have the time to sit and write the whole book. She probably just was interviewed by her ghostwriter, Hilary Liftin wrote it based on what Miley said. Of course it's not ALL true, but it may have some true points. This is just my opinion though.