Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In this novel about the constant conflict within a family, Louise Erdrich creates disconnected characters who seem confusing at first. The Kashpaw family may be emotionally and territorially detached, but they're still held together by the random relations and experiences of life.

Love Medicine, like a puzzle, can only be appreciated once finished. Through use of different perspectives, Erdrich creates biased storytelling, allowing the reader to view each character's differing opinion of a situation. Rather than a flat view where readers vicariously experience events through one character, this novel is rounded and enriched with lively, realistic persona.

A constant problem with our educational system is its misrepresentation and underrepresentation of Native American culture and history. Because of this, the idea of an entirely separate yet unknown culture ensues. However, this tale of the Kashpaw/Nanapush family dispels any preconceived notions. Erdrich presents her readers with a novel that connects with all people, not just Native Americans.

Though Ehrlich's book covers issues of adultery, alcoholism, and even murder, the reader is left with a truly caring feeling, becoming a part of this family, regardless of culture.