Forever Geek | Teen Ink

Forever Geek

January 19, 2009
By Anonymous

Everyone has had a broken heart. Whether it stems from a death or a breakup, it is always painful. The feelings at the moment a breakup occurs, and all the emotions that run through the mind when the statement “it’s over” is heard always leaves the same effect. This pain at times hurts more than an actual cut, or sore, because a relationship may never heal, while a cut usually heals. In the story, Forever Geek by Justin Ward, a large part of the narrator’s life, his boyfriend, is leaving. All the trust the main character had in his boyfriend leads him to give a piece of himself, he called Angel, to his boyfriend and the trust is broken. During the relationship, the boyfriend was tearing apart the story teller’s life. This changes the only piece of the narrator that is left, Geek. The main character in Forever Geek has three main parts of himself; his boyfriend, Angel, and Geek. Throughout his breakup experience, Angel and his boyfriend are eliminated from his life. He figures out that one part of himself, Geek is stronger than all three put together.

The boyfriend is a part of the main character’s life that is willingly leaving. A specific part in the short story illustrates this. It says, “The sun went behind the clouds” (1). The sunshine and happiness do not matter anymore because his partner is gone. The fun and laughter that enlighten the main character are forced into a cold unfamiliar place. The story teller’s partner is pushed out of his life but it’s as if his partner pulls himself out. The action seems voluntary. Just like when the sun goes behind the clouds for a period of time, the narrator’s companion leaves his life. A key part of Angel’s life is simply walking out on him, like clouds rolling away. This only leaves two parts left, the narrator, and Geek. Soon rain will fall like the numerous tears.

The narrator is giving a piece of himself, Angel, to his boyfriend but the trust with this piece of his life is broken. “I remembered all the tears of mine you had kept. All that power I gave away” (1). This illustrates the destruction of a part of the story teller, that his tears were meant for power and trust. He shed the tears for his partner, but his partner did not accept them. His companion catches the tears that Angel was giving away and dropped them on the floor just like he did to Angel. The main character gives a large piece of himself to his partner and that piece is destroyed once the tears hit the floor. Emotional pain not only causes tears it can also manifest itself as physical pain.

The narrator’s boyfriend is tearing apart his life and that destruction changes the final piece, Geek. “You’ve got razor blades in the palms of your hands. I get cut every time you touch me” (2). The palms of his hands represent his life and in the relationship the life lines, networking on his hands, keep his life whole. His companion’s razors cut the life lines apart and tear the main character’s life into shreds. This cuts out key parts of the narrator’s life and the story teller being hurt by his partner destroys him even more. Geek is the final piece standing, and standing strong. All this pain inflicted on the narrator makes Geek stronger. He falls back onto the Geek part of himself because he knows he won’t risk getting hurt and that in this part of himself, he is strong. He is more powerful than the tears and the pain because Geek is there to stay.

An ended relationship is one of the hardest processes to go through. Everyone has multiple aspects to their personality. Ended relationships can bring out those sides and in a way help that person find who they truly are. The end of a relationship makes people strong and willing to face what is in store for them. Many aspects of who a person is may be eliminated during a relationship, leaving only certain pieces behind. As with angel, he was lost and destroyed, yet Geek rose up strong to support all three. Tears can empower or ruin a relationship, and the razor blades on the end of those tears can make the final strike to end it all.