The Princess Diaries, Volume X: Forever Princess | Teen Ink

The Princess Diaries, Volume X: Forever Princess

February 24, 2009
By Joy Kicinski BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Joy Kicinski BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"The End of an Extraordinary Reign"

When I was thirteen and a freshman in high school, the library introduced me to the world of Amelia Thermopolis, a normal teenager growing up in New York City, starting her freshman year at the prestigious Albert Einstein High School. Remember those days? Feeling like a dork and not knowing the social graces of high school? If Mia did not have enough to deal with, her mother began dating her math teacher, and she also just found out she is a princess and the heir to Genovian crown, a small, fictional European country. She's a princess!

Now, ten books and eight years later, she's been through her mother's marriage to her algebra teacher, tests and finals, friendships gone array, boyfriends came and went, and princess lessons. Mia is now a senior in high school and making some of the largest decisions of her life and is recorded in The Princess Diaries, Volume X: Forever Princess (HarperTeen, $16.99). Her final diary is not any different from the previous nine; Mia has obviously grown up, like her readers, but she is still as funny, likable, and real as ever.

'With Genovia's and her own future hanging in the balance, Mia's got some decisions to make: Which college? Which guy? How can she choose? Especially when what she decides might determine not just the next four years, but . . . forever!'

Mia cannot stop lying and has not been honest to her friends about what college she's attending or her 400-page senior project. Her eighteenth birthday party, senior prom, and high school graduation are coming up. How can she think about any of it when her father's running for the prime minister position of Genovia, and it's all her fault, if only she did not open her big mouth. Oh, and her first love, Michael is back from Japan, returning from a medical sabbatical and creating a surgical robotic arm that will help million. But, Mia already has a boyfriend - J.P. and does not have any feelings for him what so ever'she thinks.

Readers who have followed Mia since her freshman year of high school will not be disappointed. As Mia makes decisions regarding her relationships, writes a romantic novel, and begins to plot out the rest of her life, the reader feels as she is right there with her! There is not a thing that was wrong with the way the series ended. Unlike most finales, it was not rushed, but done in a graceful and masterful way. Meg Cabot did a wonderful job.

Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo will greatly be missed. As she moves onto college and her destiny as the Princess of Genovia, her fans can also move onto the real world. However, fans, do not feel disappointed. Mia's senior project, Ransom My Heart, has been published and all proceeds will go to Greenpeace, benefiting the fight against global warming. Mia is even blogging at www.miathermapolis.com. Even though Mia is a princess, the crazy chronicles of being a teenage are relatable to everyone. College, life, friends, boys, and the prom are any 18-year-old's concerns. Her birthday bash yacht party, along with the designer clothes adds a layer of a fairy-tale escape in Mia's life. Forever Princess is the end of an extraordinary reign!