All But My Life by by Gerda Weissman Klein This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Imagine this: one morning you awake in your cozy suburban home to the loud sounds of destruction from outside. You look to see that tanks are destroying everything in their path and soldiers are taking your neighbors from their homes. You hear a knock at your door and realize that you are next. You are separated from your family and put in the back of a truck with people you don’t know. You are on your way to a camp – not the campground where you and your family go in the summer but a place where you will be locked up and may soon be added to a mass grave.

It’s hard to imagine this, but to actually experience it is something most of us can’t even begin to contemplate. But someone did live through this horrible scenario; her name is Gerda Weissman Klein.

Gerda was only a teenager during the Holocaust, when she lost her home, her friends and even worse, her family. After many years of torture, Gerda was finally rescued. Now you can read her excellent best-selling book, All But My Life, a real-life story of her six years in the concentration camps and liberation by American troops, one of whom later becomes her husband. You won’t be able to set this book down once you start reading.

meganheu said...

PLEASE DON'T READ THIS. YOU WILL BE KISSED ON THE NEAREST FRIDAY BY THE ONE YOU LOVE. NOW YOU'VE STARTED READING THIS SO DON'T STOP.

THIS IS REALLY FREAKY!!!

1)say your name 10 times

2)say your mom's name 5 times

3)say your crush's name 3 times

4)paste this on 4 other posts. if you do this your crush will kiss you on the nearest friday. if you don't do this after reading this you will get bad luck

send this to 4 other post in 143 minutes when done pre... (more »)

emmgr2 said...
Mar. 17, 2012 at 10:31 am
I read this book - really great writing. Excellent review! The only thing I'd suggest is adding a few details in the body, but I liked the hook at the beginning and the concrete end.

_emmadilemma_ said...
It's on my Books to read list- thanks!

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nice job on the review~ You got me interested. I've put All But My Life on my list.

boss said...
i personally think this book was gorgeoyus(; muaaah

FULLHOUSEKID1000 said...
Gerda Weissman is my hero! Phenomonal job!

I Read This said...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 6:11 am
i read this book, and her name is Gerda Weissmann Klein. And she lived in her house with her whole family for a few years in the basement. She was sent to labor camps, not concentration camps. It's a good book. Did you read this a long time ago or something? Because your summary isn't very accurate. 

FULLHOUSEKID1000 replied...
Oh, come on. Constructive criticism only! If you're going to post a comment like this, make it seem a little more positive by pointing out the good things, like the creative writing strategy, and then bring out what you think can be improved and how.

wickedreader said...
I read this in English class and I loved it. Great review. Very interesting to read.

marun replied...
Mar. 22, 2010 at 6:47 am
Thanks for your help

SaraB. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 19, 2009 at 1:02 am
Wow, I didn't know she had written a book, now I have to read it. This year when my Social Studies class was studying the Holocaust, she watched a video interview with her. Gerda Weissman Klein is an amazing woman!

Hannahbear replied...
My english class is reading this book...i love it!! it is so so good, and we are gonna get to meet gerda

MakenzieMae replied...
May 11, 2011 at 9:10 am
Your gonna get to meet Gerda?! Thats amazing! haha