Soul Surfer | Teen Ink

Soul Surfer

By Libby Stevenson BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
Libby Stevenson BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska

Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board by Bethany Hamilton

Bethany Hamilton was born into a family of avid surfers. She has felt a unique and passionate love for the sport of surfing ever since she first got on board when she was a toddler. Bethany had always dreamed of becoming a professional surfer since she first started competing when she was only seven years old. She had everything going for her; wonderful friends, a great sponsor, and a loving and supportive family behind her. Then one day, something tragic happened.

It was Halloween morning in 2003. Bethany was surfing with her best friend Alana and the waves weren't very big. As Bethany lay on her board, soaking up the beautiful Hawaiian sun, she let her arm dangle in the water. All of a sudden she felt a tug and before she knew it, the water around her was red and a shark had her arm. Bethany and the people close to her were afraid that her surfing career was over.

Soul Surfer is an autobiography about Bethany Hamilton. In the book, you get to read about Bethany's life before, during, and after her tragic attack. It is a story of bravery, faith, and love that a thirteen-year- old girl experienced when her life was changed forever. I think Bethany told her story extremely well in this book, and it really made me feel close to her. Bethany writes about her true love for surfing and he struggle to become the best she could be. Soul Surfer is a book that will catch your attention from the very first page. It makes you realize that you should never give up. Bethany is now one of the top surfers competing, and she only has one arm. She still has her friends, sponsor, and of course her family and she has let nothing stop her.

I think that Soul Surfer is a truly wonderful and exciting story, and I would recommend it to any of my friends. Although this book is a good choice for anybody, I think that girls about 12-16 would enjoy Soul Surfer the most. Bethany's story has really helped many people open their eyes and see what you can accomplish when you try hard. I think this is an excellent book and if you want to read a book that is inspiring but not sappy, Soul Surfer could just be the book for you.

SCP123 said...
This book was amaizng as a movie, and I can't wait to finish reading it!!

This book was one of the best books I've EVER read! I liked the part with the shopping trip! Super funny! I loved the whole theme and the story line about a girl who is obsessed with shopping!

Lovedit said...
What an amazing book really recommend it!!!!

Beejana123 said...
I heard about this book but i never got to read it and last week i was at ' Half price book store ' and i was like i am going to finally read this :) it is so inspiring and interesting. Love the detales and how it explanes how she was feeling when the attack happend 

nicole_v. said...
Amazing thanx for the info it was great thanx again!

Mooooo4 said...
on May. 5 2011 at 9:51 am
This is a good book :]