Confessions of a Shopaholic | Teen Ink

Confessions of a Shopaholic

February 16, 2009
By D G GOLD, College Point, New York
D G GOLD, College Point, New York
10 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Imagine. You can have anything you like. From that amazingly beautiful Gucchi handbag, to the newest pink silk Chanel dress. Everything is absolutely perfect. You're the most fashionable of all your friends, and then one day, it happens. You wake up, and the sun is shining in your bedroom, and you look around and realize that everything you bought is now out of style and worthless. And there, under your front door is a letter. A letter from the bank saying that you are in debt. You owe about' 10,000 dollars.


Rebecca (Becky) Bloomwood, is a financial journalist for Successful Saving magazine, which is ironic, because she doesn't seem to be able to keep her expensively manicured fingers away from her credit card. Becky has recently been 'stalked' by the bank, sending her final notices about her overdue credit card bills, but the more she looks at them, the more she feels the necessity to spend. She begins to cut back on purchases, and finally realizes that she doesn't have the willpower to do so. She then decides to make more money. Her job bores her to death, so she decides to follow in the footsteps of her friend Elly, and take a job in a higher position of the financial world. She completely humiliates herself in the first interview by saying that she speaks fluent Finnish, and when she is asked to translate, she does the only logical thing' she runs. She is turned down from several other jobs after that. She's now lost her best friend, the man she thinks she loves is her worst enemy, and worst of all, all the excuses she uses on the bank, are beginning to run out!


Just as she's about to give up, a financial story falls into her lap, and it changes her life as she knows it, for the better, and for the worse. She suddenly realizes what she is meant to do, besides shop that is. Becky's 'confessions' make you laugh and cry at the same time, realizing how desperate she is, you just want to give her a hug. This book teaches you that the most unpredictable people can sometimes surprise you, and it's important to believe in yourself, even if everyone else's faith is lost. So what are you waiting for? Go pick up the book! But before you do so, you might want to pick something up for yourself, you know, just a little accessory.