The Giver | Teen Ink

The Giver

By Donovan Odleugo BRONZE, Newrak, New Jersey
Donovan Odleugo BRONZE, Newrak, New Jersey

Imagine you lived in a society were the word love was forsaken. All of the choices you have are predetermined for you. Books rather than the ones that your community officials put for you are forbidden. No one can point out a flaw in someone else and you aren't allowed to touch the one you love. You don't have any feelings or emotions. You're only recognized by your name and your number. No one in the community lives with their real birth parents. The color in your community is in black and white. If you commit three major transgressions then you are 'released.' The perpetrators of injustice are the very ones who make sure that you never starve and they help the entire community to function well. In the science-fiction novel The Giver, by Lois Lowry, Lowry tells of how a rebellious boy tries to liberate himself from the corruption and injustice that his 'ideal' society has ingrained in his mind.

Lois Lowry's insightful messages are conveyed within the novel. Her messages mainly centers around the themes of freedom and loss of innocence. For example, in the novel it states, 'His thoughts continued. If he had stayed, he would have starved in other ways. He would have lived a life hungry for feelings, for color, for love [173]. It is evident that Jonas felt as though if he didn't liberate himself from the oppressive grasp that his community held on him, then he would still be deprived of the of things mentally since the community forsakes feelings and emotions. Also, Jonas knew that leaving the community was the only chance of being a real person not a number.

Lowry wrote this book in science-fiction, but she employs strategic ways in which make you realize the society in the Giver it similar to the society of America and others. Initially, Lowry utilizes a subtle tone in which makes you read in between the lines. In the text it states, 'Using his final strength' he forced his eyes open as they went downward, downward, sliding'he though he heard music too. But perhaps it was only an echo [178-179].' Lowry's subtle and strategic format at the end of the novel makes you question whether or Jonas lived to be free. Her tone also relayed the message of how fighting for your freedom can possibly lead to your death. Furthermore, Lowry implements a serious tone when she describes the releasing ceremony. In the text it states, 'The twin lay motionless'Once again he saw the face of the light-haired, bloodied soldier as life left his eyes. The memory came back. He killed it'Jonas felt a ripping sensation inside himself the feeling of terrible pain clawing its way forward to emerge in a cry [151].

Jonas is the type of character who is curious, yet rebellious at the same time when he sees wrong-doing in the community. For example it states, 'But his father had continued to comb Lily's long hair, and Lily, impatient, ad finally wiggled under her brother's touch. Jonas, she said, 'you're hurting me' [101]' It is evident that Jonas was curious is trying to see whether or not touching his sister would transmit the feelings and the other things that the community took control of. Also, at the same time Jonas is being rebellious because when he attempted to transmit memories to Lily, he was going against all the years of traditions and rules that said he couldn't. He couldn't bear to see the ones he love, live a life so dull and without feelings and emotions. Jonas knew liberating in order to benefit others was worth breaking the oppressive traditions that the community has.

If you want a heartbreaking, liberating, and insightful novel in which connects to your own society, than Lowry's The Giver is the book for you. I highly recommend this teenagers and young adults because this book makes you realize that you should cherish the things you have because one day the things may be taken away from. You may even be controlled and oppressed by your own government officials and authority. The book also tells how one should be rebellious and willing to die for your own freedom. In order to fully understand the meaning of life and the vital things that life values then The Giver is the book for you.

on May. 8 2009 at 1:28 pm
The Giver is one of the most greatist books ever its a science fiction about a 12 year old boy named Jonas who is slected to be the next reciever of memory. In the book Jonas sees the community for what it is a fixe sameness boring Place filled with liers