The Giver | Teen Ink

The Giver

By Isabella BRONZE, Newark, New Jersey
Isabella BRONZE, Newark, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

One day, young Jonas finds out he will be the next 'Receiver'.
Living in this perfect utopia created based on hide secrets of society over and over in every generations. Everyone is blind by a lot of things. Everyone is the same and can't have freedom to do what they want.
Imagine if you become the next 'Receiver', you could see color, love, and everything you could think of. One problem you are the only that could see these things because everyone else is blind by sameness and control. And you can't share what you experience to no one else not even your family or your best friend. You have the decision '. to leave the community or stay and don't do anything to stop it. In the science fiction novel The Giver, Lois Lowry creates a utopia with rules that everyone is forced to follow or they will be released.
Lois Lowry, the author, uses a very mysterious style of writing. She has you broad your horizons to think more. She doesn't give you everything right away. It takes time to think about what is between the lines. This author is very similar to Kurt Vonnegut, another author, because they both make you think more to what's in the text as much. For example, in the text, it states,' He heard people singing. Behind him, across vast distances of space and time, from the place he had left, he thought he heard music too. But perhaps it was only an echo.' These are the last lines of the book. The book leaves you think for what it means. Those lines could mean that the music that welcomes Jonas to the Christmas-celebrating town is the first he has ever heard in his life, and it signals not only his arrival in Elsewhere, where he can live life to the fullest as he wants to, but also his awakening to a new kind of perception, one that until this moment has been totally unavailable to him. This new sensory gift of music is a symbol of hope and regeneration. Though he has left the Giver and his store of memories, Jonas will experience countless exciting and terrifying things in his new home, things that exist in the real world and not just in memory. The singing also welcomes him to a new, different community. Here he will find human voices rose in beautiful music, ready to accept him and all of his differences and to appreciate his beauty and love. Even though many people have different perceptive of how the book ended.
The two themes expressed in this book are freedom and loyalty. The people show loyalty in the book. In the beginning of the book, the people have to follow the rules of the community. If they didn't follow the rules, they will be released. They also strived to have freedom. Jonas shows the people that they are not free. But since they blinded by the other things, they didn't realize what's happening.
The characters show their emotions and thoughts. The author does that in a unique way in the book. She uses quotes that help you figure the characters in emotions. She does in flashbacks also. For example, in the text, The Giver shows his emotions about his daughter Rosemary. It takes time to figure out.
I liked this book because it is not a level 2 thinking book. You have to time beyond what's in the text. It is a excellent book to read if you really want to think of more ideas in society. And figure out why the government 'sugar coats' everything.

Isabella BRONZE, Newark, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
thanks. : )

fahreekin-crazy BRONZE, Sharon, Massachusetts
love the giver and vonnegut! keep it up(: