Freakonomics | Teen Ink

Freakonomics

By kyle Schuller BRONZE, Plano, Texas
kyle Schuller BRONZE, Plano, Texas

Freakonomics Review

Freakonomics is a collection of everyday things analyzed in an unusual way. Steven Levitt the author of Freakonomics uses basic economic concepts to explain the answers to interesting questions. For instance Levitt began the book by explaining why in the 1990's the crime rate decreased even though many predicted it would increase. He said it was due to the court case Roe V. Wade which legalized abortion. Because unwanted children who are more likely to become criminals were no longer being born the crime rate decreased. This explanation for crime rate upset many people since it suggested abortion helped society. This is just one of many unconventional ways Levitt chose to explain why things are the way they are.

There were many things I enjoyed about Freakonomics besides Levitt's way of thinking. It was a quick easy read that kept me wanting to know more. Each chapter discussed a new interesting topic that was covered in an easy to understand unique way. I read Freakonomics as part of a book club and every time we got together there was more than enough conversation starters. The only thing I didn't really like was that Levitt seemed a little cocky and his ego came out in his writing.