The Innocent Man

John Grisham's novel The Innocent Man is a true story mixed perfectly with horrible murder and the feeling of unconditional love. The novel takes the reader from one extreme to the next. When choosing this book to read, I was a little skeptical about how interesting it would be. When I picked it up and started to read, I quickly realized that I couldn't put it down. The novel tells a heart-wrenching story of the trials and tribulations of an innocent man sent to death row. It kept me on edge from cover to cover.

The novel jumps around from before the muder of Debbie Carter, to the night of, to after. This kept me very intersted. Ron Williamson, the main character, is a washed up base bal player that floats around town in Ada, Oklahoma. When a young waitress, Debbie, is savagely murdered, he becomes the lead suspect. As Grisham tells this real-life story, the reader is taken on a roller-coaster ride of emotions from guilt to sympathy.

Williamson deals with his curse in many different ways. He is a sweet but troubled man and throughout the story, he is both attacked and defended. He is jut a man that always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time making wrong decisions.

The Innocent Man is an amazing book. As a student wanting to study law, it throtles my drive to become a lawyer so that I can defend suspects in cases like this. I would reccomend every high school student to read this book and learn how dangerous it is to discriminate and judge others for no reason. This is a very moving and informative novel, and I am very blessed to have read it.