Blink by Malcolm Gladwell | Teen Ink

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

February 9, 2009
By Lauren Gailey BRONZE, Plano, Texas
Lauren Gailey BRONZE, Plano, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Every second of every day hundreds of thoughts are going through our heads, telling us what we like and what we don't. Unconsciously, the moment a new image, smell, feel or sound reaches our brain the body has an instant reaction. The book Blink delves into this, explaining to the readers why this happens and the reasons that we should trust our gut instinct. Gladwell uses many complex examples of this and shows that the more we analyze our decisions, the farther from the truth they become.

Although I thought the theme of the book was interesting, the thing that really caught and held my attention was the way that Gladwell proved his point through the complex real life examples and actual studies done by trained professionals. Things are so much easier to understand when you relate to the subject than when you are detached from the examples and don't understand what's going on. With examples like the Pepsi-Coke challenge, the museum artifact, the way couples interact with each other, body language, and many more, it is hard not to be intrigued by what the author has to say. This literary genius has taken a complex idea and explained it in ways that readers of all ages can understand, and that is truly the difference between a good writer and a writer that will never be forgotten.

Gladden goes one step further by challenging the reader to examine why we think the way we do by suggesting surveys and explaining what the answers really mean for the average person. It was a surprise, really, that ordinary things like linking careers and women are harder to do than linking careers and men. This, though, shows that we unknowingly have a set image in your heads of the typical family and it is hard to break away from what we 'know'.

Overall this book was an intriguing read and one that inspired me to learn more about myself and others around me by watching their body language in certain situations and analyzing their facial expressions. This book is a delightful read and I highly suggest it for anyone of any age that wants to learn why they think the way they do.