Fast Food Nation | Teen Ink

Fast Food Nation

Fast Food Nation was a very interesting book to read. Aside from the extremely liberal viewpoint of the author, Eric Schlosser, it was quite an eye-opening read. There are many things that go on in the life of a fast food employee that we Americans don't see.

For example, the meat packing industry can be a very dangerous place to work. When handling all of those extremely large animals, it's easier than one thinks to end the day without your left thumb.

The only thing about this book that brought some confusion to me was his lack of a counter-argument. The author left out entirely the fact that an incredibly large number of our people have jobs at these fast food restaurants. And that the people working at these restaurants couldn't get jobs anywhere else for a heavy lack of skill.

The main thing I took away from this book is that the author is a very firm believer in the rights of employees. I agree that employees should have a number of rights, but there is one thing keeping me from being as strong of a believer as this author is.

The fact that these workers have to resort to jobs at McDonald's and Burger King is upsetting. The fact that they let whatever educational opportunities they had go to waste is just ridiculous. They should never be in the position where they have to work at McDonald's or somewhere like that, which requires little skill, or they won't be working anywhere at all.

Basically, this non-fiction book was an attempt, and a successful one at that, to draw attention to the public's eye and the eyes of the policymakers the effects the fast food industry has on the people of America. It is a notable account of America's progression and digression under the hand of the fast food industry, and I, along with all of my peers, highly recommend it be read.