An Inconvenient Truth | Teen Ink

An Inconvenient Truth

February 9, 2009
By Blake Benson BRONZE, Plano, Texas
Blake Benson BRONZE, Plano, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

An Inconvenient Truth, the novel based upon Al Gore's Academy Award winning documentary, is an educational piece that drills the environmental threats of global warming into your skull until you just can't take it anymore. Although an interesting topic at first glance, the further you go into the book the more you think to yourself that maybe you have heard the same thing over and over again, and you have. The title itself gives away that what you are about to read is a novel based upon the theory of global warming and how his 'truths' of it may be inconvenient to the world but with some simple steps it can be solved.

Although it is very repetitive throughout the book, the way it is put together is very interesting and enjoyable to the reader. By making the novel into sort of a scrap book of the history of global warming it is very easy to see what is going on and what Gore is trying to convey through his stories. Rather than trying to tell his theory through thousands of words and phrases, he instead uses an abundance of pictures and graphs that clearly show the viewer every possible point that he could ever make. This also helps people who don't particularly know much about the issue understand more without really having to go over multiples texts, but instead they can visually connect to the topic and achieve the awareness of it.

The biggest problem with this book is that because it is mostly picture orientated you would think that they would all be one hundred percent correct and reliable but a handful of his 'scientific research' is predictions that cannot be proven true until the time is adequate. Many of his so called experts are not true sources and a lot of Gore's explanations for Global Warming cannot be proven either false or true. Mr. Gore has a bit of a problem when it comes to saying that he has facts when clearly they are only theories.

Overall the organization was extremely effective throughout the book which really made it easier to read. Al Gore is a very intellectual man and knows everything there is to know about his issue of Global warming and it is incredibly evident throughout the novel. Although quite controversial, An Inconvenient Truth offers an enormous amount of information on Global Warming and is a very interesting and easy to read novel that I would recommend.