Nickel and Dimed | Teen Ink

Nickel and Dimed

By Keely Chapman BRONZE, Plano, Texas
Keely Chapman BRONZE, Plano, Texas

Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich is a window looking into the real problem that is low wage working poor. This non-fiction work of art plays as an undercover look into the lives of those who aren't seen by the average Joe.
Barbara Ehrenreich starts with a clean slate on the dirty streets normally populated by the working class poor; this book takes you on a journey along with Barbara as her eyes are opened to the reality of the people who fold your clothes and scrub your floors. She does this not just once but explores the different aspects of this situation in Key West, Minnesota, and Maine.
Though in the beginning she saw this assignment as a bit of a challenge she had no idea what she was in for as she entered into a whole new world and discovered another part of herself. The gross unfairness that big corporations treat their employees with as well as the strong will and humble mind of those she worked beside became a main point in why she continued to work and a consistent concern in her many jobs as the situations re-emerged in a different form in every job she took part in.
The only aspects of this book that I was not satisfied with were those in which I found my interest diverted from the book because it had no ability to hold my attention and also the vagueness with which she referred to the poor as though all were the same; yes many are hard working minimum civilians at the mercy of the huge corporation but also there are some poor who live in poverty out of laziness or inability.