Nickel and Dimed: On Not Getting by in America | Teen Ink

Nickel and Dimed: On Not Getting by in America

By Cathryn Thomas BRONZE, Plano, Texas
Cathryn Thomas BRONZE, Plano, Texas

It would seem that any undercover journalism would be full of excitement and intrigue, but in Barbara Ehrenreich's assignment to do some detective journalism, was not quite as glamorous as it would seem. Throwing herself into a fake, real-life experiment, Ehrenreich works and lives a desperate low wage worker lifestyle over 3 months, all for the sake of gathering research and accurate detail to make up her memoir, 'Nickel and Dimed: On Not Getting by in America'.
Along with her daily struggles of the physical pain and shockingly low wages of her laborious jobs, she also allows her insight and observations of the entire working class situation to speak through her narrative. Ehrenreich does not just report the happenings and common duties of most low wage jobs, but she also highlights on the lack of respect shown to workers and the toll that the long hours, physically enduring, low paying jobs have on the morale of the workers. Since she is giving a first hand account of her experience in the low wage work world, readers can rely on her honesty and actual observations, connecting and opening their eyes to a side of America that they have most likely never had to endure before.
Ehrenreich present a phenomenal argument and detailed first hand account of life as a low was worker in America. Full of righ detail, light hearted humor, and insightful opinion as of how to better the workforce, 'Nickel and Dimed: On Not Getting by in America' is a must read for any American who thinks that the poor are simply lazy and unmotivated. This undercover reportage will disprove those thoughts and motivate anyone who is on the path to a low wage lifestyle, to turn around and pursue their education.