Generation Me by Jean M. Twenge | Teen Ink

Generation Me by Jean M. Twenge

By Ariel Rainbow BRONZE, Plano, Texas
Ariel Rainbow BRONZE, Plano, Texas

As a child of this current generation, I was easily convinced to read Generation Me by Jean M. Twenge. This book dives into what is the generation of today, a generation Twenge names Generation Me, reflective of the selfish, entitled characteristics of today's young Americans. The author explains the confidence and individuality that overwhelms this generation, where the entitlement came from, and what these characteristics will potentially bring for these young people in the future. Twenge's study of Generation Me, or GenMe, however, focuses solely and entirely on the unfortunate circumstances in the lives of today's young adults. There is no doubt that Twenge is accurate in her conclusion that GenMe is a generation entirely set apart from the rest, but I could not help but feel as though she took her evaluation too far. As a member of Generation Me, I found myself agreeing with many of the statements made in the book, but I also felt very different from the broad-stroke conclusions so frequently made. The stories of today's youth were entertaining and insightful, but not necessarily applicable. The biggest flaw in this work is the assumption that all of us in today's generation are misled, depressed, and doomed to a frightening future. I do recommend this read, but I must warn the readers, especially those who cannot call themselves a member of Generation Me, that generalities often do not resemble reality. I must also proudly inform Ms. Twenge that there are plenty of incredible young adults around to challenge her expectations of the future.