The Fifth Wave | Teen Ink

The Fifth Wave

December 4, 2015
By Maryanne_Aremu BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Maryanne_Aremu BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

For the first wave only darkness remains, after the second wave only the lucky can survive, after the third wave only the unlucky escape, the fourth wave the only thing you need to remember: trust no one, and for the fifth wave that still remains. Rick Yancey writes The Fifth Wave with a well laid out variety of sequences for the reader to feel the exact emotions all the characters feel: anger, pain, love, and even some sarcasm. The main characters you will find in the book will be Cassie and Sammy. As a person who loses her parents, Cassie matures into a strong  young girl fighting to stay alive all alone and with the  need to find her brother. 
When reading all you can do is start to relate with all of the characters different feelings and emotions. When reading I was always on the edge of my seat wondering and predicting what would happen next.  The Fifth Wave is a book  you can really sense the  authors way of writing and you can tell how the author used different writing styles  to describe every character. Cassie is very sarcastic towards everyone, her little brother can be very emotional at times, yet he is  only six years old. Yancey made it clear right away who the characters are and how they go along day by day and just who they are in general. Personally there were some parts where you would have wanted Cassie to make a different decision. The way Yancey makes you see Cassie is  you can feel all of the pain and stress she is going through, as for Sammy,  all you can think about is you are pretty lucky to not go through a thing  like that when you were that young.
An event that will really stood out would be when Cassie is forced to care for herself and fight her own battles and that is something that is un-imaginable and un-thinkable, and, I doubt I would be able to do  something like that and be alone,  because at some point the pain would end up making anyone crack or give up. Rick Yancey really helped any reader grab any emotion thrown at them with every individual character. The theme  taken out of The Fifth Wave, would be to forever love and cherish your family and never give up even at your weakest, because you never know what can happen and what may separate you from your loved ones.  
This book has an intended audience to any sci-fi lover out there if you are a young teen or even an adult that likes suspense and possibly aliens, this book is a good choice for you. The Fifth Wave is  recommend by me as any other reader loving suspense and action thriller. This book is worth a read it could be a different type of zombie apocalypse just without all the zombies. In all, The Fifth Wave could be a good addition to your collection and I recommend you pick up a copy.