Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do | Teen Ink

Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do

By Aegisflame BRONZE, Plano, Texas
Aegisflame BRONZE, Plano, Texas

Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do by Tom Vanderbilt is book examining the psychological reasons why he drive and how this affects us in our daily lives. He goes through many things, such as Why the Other Lane Always Seems to Move Faster, Road Rage, Eye Contact while driving, Late merging, women drivers and horn honking. All of these are perfectly viable in today's world and he finds away to reach us on a personal level instead of sounding boring and uninteresting.

Reading this book was not actually like reading a book, it was more like listening to a public seminar, where Vanderbilt was discussing the topic to us in a relaxed, professional manner. It was pretty easy to understand everything he said and everything was relevant to the topic at hand, our terrible driving habits and their psychological, physical and emotional effects on us, the people in our car and the other drivers on the road with us. Instead of quoting tons of advance psychological studies, he offers his studies in real life examples and simplifies the data for the common man to understand.

Overall, this book was a real good read. It really showed me the psychological power behind driving a vehicle and how I worked with the other cars and people around me to form an orchestra, everything flowing and playing out perfectly on the road. His demonstration and use of real life examples shows us the error on our driving habits and exposes us all for who we really are, sub-par drives. There are very few qualified drivers and everybody else is just along for the ride.