The Maze Runer by James Dashner | Teen Ink

The Maze Runer by James Dashner

December 4, 2015
By damjenniferr BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
damjenniferr BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Maze Runner series, written by James Dashner, is a combination of sci-fi, drama, and mystery. The story begins with Thomas waking up in a box not knowing who he is. He, along with many other boys, live in an utopian world known as the Glade. The Glade is a permanent home for the boys to reside, but they soon find out that they are experiments for WCKD, an organization that is working to find a cure for the flare virus that has wiped out humanity. As Thomas becomes comfortable with his surroundings, he discovers that there are many secrets outside the Glade. Thomas begins to remember glimpses of his past that help him piece together clues to solve the maze; soon the walls are unable to keep the secrets out. Thomas is repeatedly told the maze is inextricable, but his ardent desire to find out what he is doing in the Glade causes him to give his peers a hope that a way out is obtainable. After regaining his past, will Thomas be able to face his future knowing what he is capable of? Will he be willing to kill to create a utopian world for himself? 
This series is similar to other New York Times Best Sellers such as The Divergent trilogy and The Hunger Games trilogy; however, this book has a male lead. Like the other books, the main characters are placed in extreme settings and monitored by an omniscient source. As a result of having a futuristic yet corrupt society, Dashner intertwines science with a fictional fantasy for readers to create vivid scenarios. What sets The Maze Runner apart from other sci-fi novels is the suspense in every chapter and unpredictable storyline. The author, James Dashner, creates an intriguing plot by ending the book with a cliffhanger, leaving the readers constantly pondering what will happen next.
Although the book is written in third person, James includes details and stories from all the other characters rather than only one. The development of the characters throughout the story is phenomenal. In the beginning of the book, Thomas is introduced as the greenie who lost his memory. Throughout the journey, the readers get to see more of Thomas play both the antagonist and protagonist rather than just an unknown greenie. Thomas’ character development within the story showcases his natural leadership skills that he effectively utilizes to spark a new hope in the other Gladers stuck with him in the Glade and remind them there is a way out. Although trying to escape through the maze is not the most feasible choice, it is the best option they have if they want to someday find a way out.
I recommend this book to anyone looking for a sci-fi thriller. The suspenseful story and plot line is evenly spaced with mystery in every page. If you are looking for a simple yet packed read, the Maze Runner is one of the best choice readings currently being sold. The series is a page turner that will keep readers hooked. While there is a lot of twists and turns throughout the plot, the reader is still able to creatively wonder what happens after finishing the series to suit each reader’s interest. The series is a wonderful read for people of all ages, and should be read by those who are fascinated with being on the edge while reading.