The Fourth Stall by Chris Rylander | Teen Ink

The Fourth Stall by Chris Rylander

By Max1887 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Max1887 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

The Fourth Stall was overall a tremendous read. I read the book once before in fifth or sixth grade, but I hadn’t remembered any of it until the first page was read. Though the plot of the whole book was a huge jumbled mess in my head, as I advanced through the book, my blurry memories of the characters and the plot started to reconstruct themselves. Connecting with the protagonist is guaranteed in this story whether the reader is a child or not.
   The story is about a boy in sixth grade, Mac, who runs a simple problem-solving business out of the fourth stall from the high window in the East Wing of his school with his friend Vince. The business had been started in the trailer park where they both had first met, and has ever since taken off, serving the students with whatever problem they need solved. All was fine until a long-time myth, Staples and his gang, turn up to cause trouble. Staples’ group was a tough group of drop-outs who were capable of beating up any middle schooler they chose. Little did Mac know, a mole was amongst his team, and he or she was forced to report everything Mac did to Staples. Mac and his team are now left to face Staples and his crew in order to restore normality at his school.
   The Fourth Stall is a great read for any age over ten, simply because it pays a lot of attention to the positive details in the story, while still paying a comfortable amount of attention to the problem. The story is capable of being child-friendly without being too “cheesy” or hard to read for more advanced or older readers. The conflict in the story is not overly negative, given it is a story about a sixth grader. This is a book you will definitely not want to put down, from beginning to end.

This is my second ever book review submitted to this site, only under a different name. Feel free to comment below telling me what I can improve on and/or if you liked the review or not. Thank you for reading!