Wonder by R.J. Polacio | Teen Ink

Wonder by R.J. Polacio

November 28, 2015
By greninjash GOLD, New York City, New York
greninjash GOLD, New York City, New York
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     Wonder may seem like another cliché narrative about a child starting middle school, but in reality, this novel follows a totally different path. R.J. Polacio’s phenomenal realistic fiction piece introduces an intriguing dynamic character named August (Auggie) Pullman. Auggie has never been to a public school before, and he also happens to have facial deformity, which has always prevented him from being treated like an ordinary boy. Isn’t that the best way to start the year in a normal school full of normal children and normal teachers? Join Auggie through his journey through the fifth grade as he tries to conform with his fellow classmates.
     Auggie’s fascinating tale begins the moment he is born into this world one night. With a one out of four million chance, he develops a severe craniofacial abnormality. Just to name a few of his problems, he has sunken, slanted eyes, concave cheeks, and a shrunken lower jaw. “Sometimes people assume he’s been burned in a fire: his features look like they’ve been melted, like the drippings on the side of  a candle” He might as well be wearing a zombie mask, as his face disorder strikes terror into the hearts of everyone who lays eyes on him for the first time. Auggie has survived countless surgeries and consequently had to be homeschooled. Auggie has also endured the constant stares and whispers from other children, yet he has the resilience to ignore their harsh words and carry on, because despite his extraordinary exterior, he knows how ordinary he really is.
     All this changes when he receives an invitation to Beecher Prep in Manhattan. After a year of deciding and bickering, Auggie’s parents decide they can no longer shelter him under their wing. Auggie needs to learn more than he can at home and receive a formal education. He needs room to mature, and truly be the typical kid they know he is. Auggie knows everyone there will stare at him, talk about him, and point at him. Especially Julian, the class bully who will do everything he can to make Auggie’s life more miserable than it already is. But for his own sake, he must face his ultimate enemy: society. He must now leave his nest and navigate the real world, all on his own.
     Throughout the story, the perspectives alternate from Auggie, to his sister Olivia, then his best friend Jack, and more. Polacio does an amazing job at capturing every one of their personalities, depicting how they feel about the subject at hand in great detail. Every character is extremely well drawn and believable. She uses just the right amount of slang to suit the mind of ten year old boys (Auggie and Jack), then a teenage girl (Olivia), depending on the point of view. For example, one chapter is completely devoted to letters, emails, and texts between the characters. Through Auggie’s and Jack’s texts, their youth is obvious due to their shortened, misspelled words such as “agen” and “cuz” But most of all, this book stirs up an enormous amount of emotions. This story will have you sobbing at one point, and cheering the next. One chapter may be heartwarming, and the subsequent one may chill you to the bone. Complete with philosophical precepts and famous quotes, this piece is a memorable masterpiece certainly worthy of praise.
    This story illustrates Auggie’s gradual transition into maturity, as he learns to cope well with an environment where prejudice and fear of eccentricity exists. Its original plot and characters make this book superior to other coming of age stories. A whopping million copies have been sold, and it’s easy to see why. Wonder has won multiple notable awards, such as an NPR Outstanding Backseat Book Club Pick, a USA Today Top 100 Bestseller, and several others. So the next time you happen to come across a child with some rather unusual characteristics, think twice before you judge. You have no idea how ordinary he or she can be.