Lone Survivor by Marcus luttrell | Teen Ink

Lone Survivor by Marcus luttrell

“Lone Survivor”
Book review

Have you ever imagined getting dropped off in the middle of a desert not knowing if you will ever make it home. Well in “Lone Survivor” by Marcus luttrell. Marcus  and his Navy Seal team experience this exact moment when they are sent into the hills of Afghanistan to take out a group of Taliban. They never could expect what happened next
The ending of this book really is an emotional rollercoaster.From reading this book the reader really have a greater appreciation for our military and what they do to protect this country. Something the reader thinks Marcus Luttrell did well while writing this book was use many time shifts and diction. Something the Author could have done to hold the reader's attention more would have to shorten the flashbacks moment so they're not so long and drug out.
While the reader read this book he noticed a good use of diction. For example on page 136 the drill instructor said  “Dig!Dig!Dig!”He roared. Really gives a strong impact on the reader as if he was there. Another good example of the author's writing is placed on page 170 when the drill instructor Rico exclaimed “Crawl to the whistle, men! Crawl to the whistle! And keep your goddamned heads down!”. This really gives the feeling of stress and anxiety to the reader. The last example of the writing style is the use of  personification on page 242 Marcus luttrell uses the example of  “The rope snaked from the rear of the aircraft to the ground”. This is giving the rope a human or animalistic quality.
Lone survivor shows just how hard being in the military is and the struggles you have to go through everyday, even if you’re not happy with the outcome.As a reader I believe that this book is appropriate for young adults who are more specifically interested in the military. As a reader I do not recommend this book to anyone who doesn't like violence or killing. Overall, I give this book four stars.
Matthew Freed