Ansatsu Kyoshitsu by Y?sei Matsui | Teen Ink

Ansatsu Kyoshitsu by Y?sei Matsui

November 22, 2015
By Satsuki SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Satsuki SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ansatsu Kyoshitsu ( Assassination Classroom ) Review
             It was another “normal” day of school at Kunugigaoka Junior High School.  Hidden in the mountains was the class E or “end” class of this prestigious school.  In the classroom, an awkward mood hovered above the class as the class waited patiently for “it” to come.  As “it” slid open the door, all the students stood up, they bowed and suddenly somebody shouted, “Shoot!”  The students started shooting at the teacher.  This was no regular classroom, it was the “assassination classroom.”  Be swept into Ansatsu Kyoshitsu by Y?sei Matsui and join this mysterious class in risky challenges.
               Kunugigaoka Junior High School is an elite school in Tokyo with mostly successful students except for that five percent, which is class E.  These students were the outcasts of the school, and they were sent into the mountains.  Then, one day, three- sevenths of the moon disappeared. To add to that, an inhuman octopus comes into their classroom, claimed that he destroyed the moon, and he said that he was plotting to do the same to earth.  This octopoid was to become their teacher until graduation, and during that time, they are given the mission to kill them for ten billion yen.  They have to keep this mission and creature  a secret.  As they embark on this challenge, they go on unusual adventures, solve problems together, and uncover unknown mysteries.
                   The characters in the book are all diverse which makes the book more interesting.  One of the main characters is the target himself, the tentacled teacher, or as the students call him, Koro-sensei (meaning unkillable teacher).  He is the creature that blew up most of the moon, has tentacles, and usually wears a scholar uniform, changes color due to his mood, can go at Mach 20, teaches class E, the government’s secret, and he also has many weaknesses.  The next one is Shiota Nagisa who has long blue hair in pigtails and takes notes on Koro-sensei's weaknesses.  He got along with most of the class, and also has a mysterious aura.  There is also Akabane Karma, who unlike the other students did not get into class E because of his grades, but because of his behavior.  He’s also very cunning and was the first one to injure Koro-sensei.  Karma has good grades and has red hair.  The last main character is Kaede Kayano, who is always cheerful, has green hair in pigtails.  She also has a big secret hidden underneath that smile.  Each one plays an important role that makes the book itself remarkable.
                    This manga is a mix of all different kinds of genres: comedy, action supernatural. Y?sei Matsui was able to blend two opposite things: comedy and assassination.  His drawings are straight to to the point and you can tell what is happening.  Also, the author makes you want to support class E.  Not only that, I was able to relate with the students in class E.  Each one of them have faced challenges and didn't know how to face them.  I also felt like that in the beginning.  The character of Koro- sensei makes you laugh at certain parts, and sometimes what he says makes you really think about what he means.  The artist/writer develops good characters and there are plot twists creating suspense.  Also, he makes it like I'm in the classroom myself, and I am going on those missions with the students.  He drew me in, making me want to know what makes gut happen next.  Chapters of this book are still coming out, but it is exciting to wait for the next one..  This  book/manga was also able to achieve different things.  It was published in a popular Japanese magazine Saikyo Jump, and it was also made into an anime, a game, and a live action movie. 
                    The title “ Ansatsu Kyoshitsu “ makes you think of a violent classroom.  Once you open this book, you walk together with class E as they change and realize things.  Every step of the book is unpredictable.  You will laugh one minute and fall down in a pit the next minute.  If you are bored, you can kill time by reading about assassination classroom.  What might happen next, will the class be able to succeed or will they fail?  It’s best to read this book for yourself, because before you know it, you will be going at Mach 20.