A walk to remember by Nicholas Sparks | Teen Ink

A walk to remember by Nicholas Sparks MAG

October 28, 2015
By Oliviamf BRONZE, Malden, Massachusetts
Oliviamf BRONZE, Malden, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you think your life is tough, everyone's is harder" Everyone alive


A Walk to Remember isn’t very long – about 200 pages – however the story is timeless, infinite, and never-ending. How can one book capture the spirit of two opposite souls? Landon and Jamie, the boy who’s trying to find himself, and the girl with a heart so big, it hurts.

In rural North Carolina, long-time acquaintances who never had much more than a simple conversation are thrown together in the school play, each participating for very different reasons. This year’s play isn’t new; it’s the annual tear-jerker. Except this year, the girl with the brown sweater and a painful secret is playing the angel. Which is really ironic, considering she is probably one of the kindest people in literature in my opinion.

Throughout the story, these two people of different motives clash in a romantic and surprising way. This story takes the conventional love story and squashes it flat. Nicholas Sparks has a way of transporting us decades back, to a place I didn’t know existed.

I love these characters. They’re unique and at the same time, relatable. I honestly don’t know how Sparks does it. This book is unlike many modern romances since the intimacy doesn’t go past a simple kiss.

A Walk to Remember is everything I want in a relationship and a good read. It takes its time progressing so every detail is engraved in your mind. And every moment is as genuine as it could possibly be.

The author's comments:

I was doing this for an assignment, I just felt like the book wasn't appreciated as much as it should be especially with the impact it's had on my life. Then I saw this website and was like "JUST DO IT" Shout out to Nike; you know for the inspirational slogan.