Carrie by Stephen King | Teen Ink

Carrie by Stephen King

By AnnnaMR BRONZE, Sherwood, Oregon
AnnnaMR BRONZE, Sherwood, Oregon

King, Stephen. Carrie.
Living in a small town full of bonehead jocks, and stuck up teenage girls would be hard enough without being telekinetic. Carrie is constantly harassed and bullied by her peers. She is seen as “a frog among swans”(8). Stephen King gives insight to these abusers with witness reports and studies on TK (Telekinesis). In fact, the whole book is written as a case report- as someone who is trying to figure out what happened on prom night. He writes this way to keep the reader interested, as he gives more information on events to come, the more questions arise. The novel follows Carrie as she hides her TK secret from her peers and tries to dodge her abusive, devout christian mother,  all the while she prepares for Prom.
Everywhere Carrie goes, blood seems to follow. Beginning with her first menstrual cycle and ending with a massacre, King displayed blood as a calling card to Carrie’s power. She came home after the locker room incident, imagining “Chris Hargensen all bloody and screaming for mercy. With rats crawling all over her face.”(139). Anywhere blood can be found, the presence of power is looming over it. King demonstrates both the lack of power and the consequences of what too much power can have with blood. Carrie is scorned because of her menstrual cycle and loses power to her bullies. Antagonist Chris Hargensen is ready to dump “pig's blood” on Carrie from the beginning. With lack of reasoning to her hatred, she becomes the face of evil and sin: paralleling (Carrie’s) Momma’s idea of the “‘sin’ of intercourse” (74), Chris is enveloped in her relationship with the mean spirited, Billy Nolan. Sin is similar to blood because, Chris uses blood (power) to hurt Carrie. Yet this just makes Carrie vengeful and “full of power”.
I do find the broken thoughts and case reports intriguing and they did persuade me to read on, yet I didn't find what I expected out of this book.  I immediately found distaste for Carrie’s peers and the nonsensical hate they had for her. I resented the lack of care and abusive tendencies the male characters had towards any of the female characters. As a woman I only became more upset with this novel, but as Carrie finds herself and her powers I understood this novel wasn't for women. With the underlying tones of power in femininity, King managed to make what began to be a misogynistic tale of catty high school girls into something that showed the fear men have of powerful women. Although this “horrifying classic” did not frighten me, it helped kick-start Stephen King's career and introduced his unsettling mind to the world of horror fiction.