The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time • Mark Haddon | Teen Ink

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time • Mark Haddon MAG

By Hamah8 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
Hamah8 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

"Keep your bad vibes out of my corn flakes"-Gerard Way

If you’re looking for a book that will mess you up in the best way possible, look no further. In The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, you can never tell what will happen next. Author Mark Haddon lures readers into a false comfort, making you think you know what will happen. Then – bam! – plot twist. After a few of those you might begin to think there’s a pattern, one you have figured out. Then – bam! – plot twist. Toward the end you might think, Okay, things are calming down. But guess what? Bam! – plot twist.

The story opens abruptly, with Christopher, an autistic 15-year-old, finding his neighbor’s dog dead, a pitch fork stuck in his side. In the next chapter, Christopher explains that he cannot write events in order, so that had to go first. He decides he is going to find out who killed the dog, named Wellington. In the process, Christopher learns secrets, some that he wishes he hadn’t, some that make him question himself and all that he holds dear.

I love this book. It took less than 20 pages for it to become one of my top ten. It offers a whole new look on life. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Haddon truly makes you see through Christopher’s eyes and accurately shows his broken family. You see the struggle of a single father trying to raise an autistic child. At first, Christopher’s odd way of looking at life may confuse you, but you will soon find it charming.

If you want an easy read, then look elsewhere. Reading this book, you will have to think in a new way. At times you will have no idea what is going on. But if you persevere everything will come together and make sense. So if you want one of the best reads of your life, choose this book.

I hope everyone one that reads this review will read The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime. It truly offers a new view to life.