Hatchet | Teen Ink

Hatchet

August 21, 2015
By DavidAntonio10 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
DavidAntonio10 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Hatchet
The book I read was Hatchet this book was written by Gary Paulsen. This is a very cool and exciting adventure book. It takes you through an amazing and terrifying and fun adventure. The characters in this Book are Brain Robeson and the pilot from the Cessna 406 plane and Brian’s mom. The setting is mostly in a forest near Northern Canada and in a 406 Cessna plane is where the climax starts due to an accident that happens later in the plane. The main conflict is when the pilot of the plane had a heart attack. And died and the plane crashed. The plane crashed in a lake in a forest.
The Novel Hatchet is about a teenage boy named Brian Robeson he has to go visit his Dad in the oil fields in Northern Canada. Before Brian Robeson leaves his mom gives him a gift and he later finds out that it is a hatchet. Well hours go by and he is still on the plane then the climax of the story starts when the only pilot in that airplane suffers a massive heart attack. And Brian with no experience in flying tries to land the plane but fails and ends up crash landing it in a lake in a forest.
And now Brian tries to get out of the sinking plane which he does and he starts to know he is stuck in a forest by himself and has to learn how to survive with only a hatchet. Days and nights go by he ends up learning how to make fire and kill and eat with the hatchet. He also learns how to craft bows arrows and other tools to use to hunt but not just this he learns how to survive with just this hatchet.
The biggest struggle of Brian Robeson wasn’t the severe weather or the bears wolves or the tornado it was thinking he was never going to see his mom ever again and he had to fight with that idea all the time he was there in the forest.  Then all of the sudden a tornado hits in the area he is in and he builds a raft to try to reach the plane and try to find anything that can help him to survive. When Brian is cutting his way I to the plane he drops his hatchet in to the lake and he has to dive in to the cold water and get it. Once he manages to get inside the plane he finds a survival pack with some food in it. He ends up finding a rifle and a emergency transmitter. When he gets on shore he tries to activate the transmitter but not knowing how to use it. He ends up calling and thinking he has failed throws it but then an air plane nearby ends hearing him and finally he is rescued.
This book if a very good novel and I recommend reading this. If you  are looking to read a suspense and action novel this is the right book to read. This is a book that anyone would enjoy reading I wouldn’t have an average age target because this is a very good book for any one. In the end  I loved reading this book.