Equus by Peter Shaffer | Teen Ink

Equus by Peter Shaffer

By rchoudhury SILVER, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
rchoudhury SILVER, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Presented as a script for a play, “Equus” by Peter Shaffer presents a psychological thriller of a doctor attempting to treat a young man with a religious obsession with horses. The reader follows the accounts of Dr. Dysart, a psychologist, who attempts to understand the motivations of Alan Strang, a young teenager who blinds six horses in a violent manner. The doctor is the last resort and the only person who can diagnose and attempt to treat the young man. With his religious obsession of horses, he rarely communicates with his parents, making it impossible for anyone to administer help. As the doctor progresses with the adolescent, he soon starts to doubt himself and begins a journey of self-discovery. The story presents the reader with two intertwined stories, one of a troubled child and one of a troubled doctor. They come together at the end to assist one another in solving their predicaments.
The book is written fantastically, seamlessly blending the two stories together and allows the reader the intimately understand the situation at hand. Without explicitly stating how Alan was troubled or what occurred, the reader is thrown into the action. While written from the viewpoint of Dr. Dysart, Peter Shaffer’s side notes on stage direction and stage setting create a vivid image in the readers mind. It is easy to imagine the actions and the emotions as they are recreated in script. Because of the subtle underlying themes present in the story, it is recommended for an older audience as a younger reader may miss the important themes presented.