The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne | Teen Ink

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

June 9, 2015
By LadyGemini BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
LadyGemini BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Nobody can hit you as hard as life."
-"Rocky Balboa" (Sylvester Stallone)


The Boy in the Striped Pajamas/ John Boyne
David Flicking Books, 2006, 216 pp.
Tragedy

A fence is a barrier intended for no escape. A fence is a blanket protecting you from the monsters that lurk around your room. A fence frames the major differences that can divide the world of violence, discrimination, and most of all- peace.
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a fictional narrative told from Bruno, an eight year old’s perspective during the WWII era. He and his family suddenly move from Berlin to Out-With, also known as Auschwitz. Inquisitive Bruno asks many questions because he thinks it is his fault for the strange relocation. “…he had behaved in a perfect manner… couldn’t remember causing trouble at all.”  Despite these feelings he resentfully adjusts to this environment. Bruno attentively watches the peculiar behavior of the people in the house and out. Even more so, he notices tall and short, old and young boys with saddened faces behind the fence- all wearing the same clothes. “…a pair of grey striped pajamas with a grey striped cap on their heads.” As young as Bruno is, he is oblivious to the dark, merciless world that functions behind the barrier and locked in his own childish mind. Since Bruno is one of adventure--an explorer-- he quenches his thirst for exploring and makes a discovery; “The Dot That Became a Speck That Became a Blob That Became a Figure That Became a Boy.” As a friendly, welcoming child Bruno decides to talk to the boy. As an observant child, Bruno quickly notices an enormous, cold fence as he approaches the boy- blocking Bruno and his new acquaintance from so much as talking. Bruno also notices that the boy, Shmuel, is an unusual shade of grey; “His skin was almost the colour of grey, but not quite like any grey that Bruno had ever seen before.” Overtime, Bruno befriends Shmuel-despite his differences- and brings him gifts-one of friendship and the other, probably the best meal Shmuel had ever eaten since being behind the immense, icy fence. Although the fence seems like it could go on forever, Bruno and Shmuel never let it divide their friendship, nor did their skin color, their backgrounds, or even the clothes on their backs. This is the friendship of an eight year old German boy and an eight year old Jewish boy named Shmuel. “‘You’re my best friend, Shmuel… My best friend for life.’”

The author, John Boyne, writes “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” from a naïve point of view to relate to how bewildered, frightened, and lost the Jews had been. As you analyze the book, you uncover little details through symbolism and foreshadowing.  Even the secrets intertwined in the title and the dialogue had behind them strengthened the story. The book had no flaws, and really, the book could not have been better written. Anybody can read this book, but the comprehension is key.   Overall, “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” surrounds you with the ideas of a harsh reality that this][] innocent, naïve boy faces. Bruno breaks the barriers of racism- through an unmindful act of kindness- and blossoms a friendship with no other than a Jewish boy named Shmuel. “And then the room went very dark and somehow, despite the chaos that followed, Bruno found that he was still holding Shmuel’s hand in his own and nothing in the world would have persuaded him to let it go.”